W204 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NDFR

SUPPORTER
Car
C320 CDI
Need a bit of advice please. I will be buying a C320 CDI early next week which has a pretty comprehensive receipt file. Previous owner had the car serviced with MB and seems to have agreed to all work suggested by MB without question.

There was an ATF change done at 37000 miles and the car is currently at 93000. I can find no evidence of a second ATF change.

Does the car require the ATF to be changed after 37000 miles? I'm pretty sure it does but not sure.

I would appreciate a estimate of the cost if anyone can help.

Thanks.

It should have been done at 74k too. Make sure you drive the car properly and see if the changes are smooth up and down.
If you buy it, change the oil asap.

Pre-facelift 204's, MB claim autobox sealed for life and no ATF change required. Facelift cars it's one change at 37k miles. Had a big "discussion" on this point with MB Ashford just after buying my (supplied new and serviced by them) S204 c220 in March 2012 as my owner's handbook (or maybe it was the service schedule book) showed the 37k change, the service invoices did not show it having been done so I wanted it done at their cost - which they refused.

I've read quite a lot about the wisdom of changing ATF and filter on the W/S203 despite MB's "sealed for life" claim, and actually had my S203 C270 done - only noticed a very slight improvement in smoothness of the box afterwards, but my wallet was about £150 lighter (about 4 years ago, at an indie)!

Not seen much if any discussion about the 204 autobox either here or on t'other side.

Regarding the W204 facelift models mine requires an ATM change at 75000. I think it depends of type of oil used. I was originally told the ATM required changing once only at around 31000, but since its changed to 75000. The ESS sheet says 31000 but it doesn't come up on 'my service' unless I enter a mileage of 75000.
It is confusing and there doesn't seem to be a generic answer.
My local MB dealer is quoting £278.

If it's anything like the 203, what I paid £150 for was just the filter and 4 1/2l of ATF - in other words the box but not the torque converter. It's apparently a lot more involved to also drain and refill the TC, and requires 7l not 4 1/2l.

Some say sealed for life.

Some say change once at 37k.

My advice is to keep things simple and change the ATF every 35k-40k.

Last edited:
Incidentally... in case anyone thinks that 37,500 miles is a carefully calculated figure... it is simply derived from the original metric figure which was 45,000 Km.

In it's original language, 45,000 Km rightly sounds like a rounded-up figure, but the UK British translation to 37,500 miles makes it sound as if ATF change is a precise science.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Anyone else want to chip in?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Anyone else want to chip in?

Change it with merc parts. Just had my e320cdi 7 speed 56 plate done as not had it long. It's only been done once at 37000 and that's all it should have ever according to mb. Rubbish I say. Mines on 104000 so just had it done at msl and the oil was very dirty. Lucky mine had torque converter drain plug so took 8 litres to fill. Not a massive difference but smoother and now iam happy as it's fresh oil and a preventative measure.

Slightly of course the Ess system is a load of $hit, the dealers can't even work it out, I'm telling them what needs doing!

Have a2011 pre facelift w204 with 5 speed auto. At 50,000. Should I get the ATF done with the next A3 service which is due in September?

For anyone interested I had the ATF changed at a local Indi who charged £240 all in. Reasonable enough I thought. His recommendation was to change the fluid every 40k.

NDFR said:
For anyone interested I had the ATF changed at a local Indi who charged £240 all in. Reasonable enough I thought. His recommendation was to change the fluid every 40k.

That's a bit steep,my indie charged £160 for my 7-G box and that included changing the oil in the torque converter aswell. Took just over an hour

That's a bit steep,my indie charged £160 for my 7-G box and that included changing the oil in the torque converter aswell. Took just over an hour
Sounds too cheap. Are you sure he used the correct oil? Reason I say this, my cousin had his S320 cdi done by a garage in Ibrox at a similar price. They did not use the proper Merc oil and as a result he's having a few niggling issues with his box. To my knowledge the parts alone come to near £200
Then again I may be wrong. I'm only saying this as we all know how sensitive the 7g boxes are.

HB said:
Sounds too cheap. Are you sure he used the correct oil? Reason I say this, my cousin had his S320 cdi done by a garage in Ibrox at a similar price. They did not use the proper Merc oil and as a result he's having a few niggling issues with his box. To my knowledge the parts alone come to near £200 Then again I may be wrong. I'm only saying this as we all know how sensitive the 7g boxes are.

I watched the tech do it and from I remember they had huge metal grey barrels with MercedesBenz on them where he took the oil from so I'd assume it was Mercedes benz oil in them. He's an indie Iv used numerous times with no problems after. It's been 7 months since the box was serviced and still running sweet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom