W204 ABS ESP Warning lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AGOG

Car
S204 C200cdi AMG Edition 125
Hi there, W204 C200
Just cruising along this afternoon and suddenly the ABS ESP not functioning warning lights come up on info panel, any ideas why this would be? Brake pads, maybe?

Anyone had the same problem?

Check battery voltage and alternator condition. The EPS system will shut itself down if it detects low or unstable voltage.

Get the fault codes read with MB STAR, if the issue is down to a failed stroboscopic wheel sensor it will be flagged up on the EPS ECU.

Check or replace the brake light activation switch under the break pedal.

Check tyre wear, condition, and pressures - if there's a significant difference in the input received from the wheels sensors, the EPS ECU will get confused and could shut down.

Last edited:
On my PITA C240 2001 I had the same thing, it was the BAS/ABS module. Some people are lucky and it's just the brake light switch (if you have one).

Use a good code reader or go to a STAR machine to narrow it down.

Latest; So, had the code reader to the car toady, no fault codes detected with no codes pending. Did drop test on battery, and it's showing "Weak" am now trickle charging battery. Hoping tomorrow to discover low battery voltage is the cause. I'll post update asap.
Thnx all

Update; MB Dealer in Bergerac replaced both front wheel rotation sensors - problem solved at a cost of €360.
€60 for the diagnostic and €300 for the parts & labour.

I thought they may have waived the diagnostic charge after I agreed to let them carry out the work, but no, they didn't. Boooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom