W204 aircon pipe insulation; mouse damage simple repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toml3

Car
C350e
some hungry mice chewed away some aircon pipe insulation in the engine bay of my W204 C220.
CIMG3105.JPG

The repair was simple, only about 40cm of Armaflex foam insulation needed (pipe inner diameter is 18mm). I used foam with wall thickness 9mm, this is thicker than the original fitment but went in well. The Armaflex info states: Armaflex XG is a flexible thermal insulation material for condensation control in air-conditioning and refrigeration installations. It is also suitable for reducing thermal losses in heating and plumbing systems.

Since the foam is extruded its a pipe, so needs a sharp stanley knife run along its length to open up a slit, so it can fit around the aircon pipe on the car. This is made easier if you loosen off the plastic 10mm nut holding the pipe clamp to allow more room between the pipe and car metalwork. I found contact adhesive works perfectly to then glue the insulation together again.

CIMG3107.JPG

Just left the job of taking care of the mice...

nice job, seen a couple of mice around our drive, but I have three cats so shouldn't be an issue, I hope.

Just left the job of taking care of the mice...

Saw this on another forum the other day - it's from the US:
'A TSB from Honda suggests rodent-deterrent tape - an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which is “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) is available through dealers for about $36 for a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards.'

Apparently they don't like human, cat or dog hair. But you have to keep replacing it under the bonnet as it blows away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom