W204 Audio upgrade.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by johnlewis1964, Sep 3, 2017.

1. johnlewis1964

johnlewis1964 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 C180 Kompressor.
    Hi folks new guy again what is a good all round stereo upgrade for my car many thanks.

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Your best bet is to contact the guys in the link I posted in your other thread about iPod connections.

Whereabouts are you located?

3. OP
    OP
    johnlewis1964

Car:
    2008 C180 Kompressor.
    Cheers

4. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
  5. sirius9

sirius9 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Saloon
    Where abouts are you based?

6. OP
    OP
    johnlewis1964

Car:
    2008 C180 Kompressor.
    Midlands Ireland.

7. Rjohnscuba

Rjohnscuba New Member

Car:
    2003 Mercedes SUV ML 270 CDi W163
    Hello johnlewis1964,

Did you find a stereo for your vehicle?

8. OP
    OP
    johnlewis1964

Car:
    2008 C180 Kompressor.
    No I was hoping to hook up I Pod but I don't want anybody taking of panels and breaking clips lol .
    I burned a few cds from I tunes sound is ok but I would upgrade if I find the best all round unit many thanks.

9. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve...

You can potentially replace the head unit with something that has more features / better amp etc, but ultimately the 'bottleneck' is the actual speakers.

If yours is a pre-facelift W204, with the pop-up screen, then replacing the head unit will not be easy. And at any rate, my experience is that the factory-fitted Audio20 or COMAND units actually have decent sound, it's the speakers that let the sound system down.

So I think your best bet is to upgrade the standard speakers with something better - comandonline.co.uk fitted excellent Morel speakers to my W204:

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Morel-Maximo-coaxial-sound-upgrade-kit-inc-Dynamat.html
    https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Morel-Maximo-component-sound-upgrade-kit.html

These were professionally fitted by them, including the Dynamat sound insulation, but obviously the door cards had to come off to get the new speakers installed.

And I now have very very good sound with a standard COMAND head unit (no additional amp).

So I would say that if you are looking for a sound upgrade your first port of call should be upgrading the speakers. Possibly adding a flat subwoofer in the boot if you like.

If then you still find the sound quality insufficient... you can add an amp to the existing factory head unit on your car (Audio20 or COMAND).

But I would not change the actual head unit - it will be expensive and wont achieve much without the better speakers.

10. OP
    OP
    johnlewis1964

Car:
    2008 C180 Kompressor.
    Many thanks for the detailed reply.