W204 B1 service cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MDC250

Hoping somebody can give me ballpark figure of what I should be paying for the above at MB Stealership. Have a price of £465.35 all in, I think I'm mid cardiac arrest. Can this be right?!

I was just £320 and a few pennies for a B service on a C63 at my main dealer in Inverness. They did want to change front discs for corrosion and front tyres too, I bought tyres elsewhere and the discs were fine after a few brake applications.

I was expecting more but was pleasantly surprised by the low cost, especially for a 63.

A breakdown of the jobs that would be carried out during the service would be helpful. I guess for £465.35 the dealer would be doing additional work such as replacing air/fuel filters and a brake fluid change?

Have you compared prices with another MB dealer? How old is the car? Might be worth getting an MB indy to do the work?

Fixed price for a C-Class last year was £369. Additional operations depend on year/mileage and could include brake fluid change @ £59, replace spark plugs @ £109, ATF & filter change @ £251, air filter @ £76, fuel filter @ £66. So £465.35 sounds as though it could be about right depending on the extras needed. Always worth asking for a discount - most dealers are prepared to offer something to retain your custom.

paulshep69 said:
I was just £320 and a few pennies for a B service on a C63 at my main dealer in Inverness. They did want to change front discs for corrosion and front tyres too, I bought tyres elsewhere and the discs were fine after a few brake applications. I was expecting more but was pleasantly surprised by the low cost, especially for a 63.

Wow that does sound reasonable!

kam05 said:
A breakdown of the jobs that would be carried out during the service would be helpful. I guess for £465.35 the dealer would be doing additional work such as replacing air/fuel filters and a brake fluid change? Have you compared prices with another MB dealer? How old is the car? Might be worth getting an MB indy to do the work?

Think B1 is standard (oil and filters) but as car is 2yrs old will need brake fluid change and that is included in the price.

Will have to stick with MB Stealership to maintain warranty etc.

I'm pretty surrounded by Inchcape dealers so would have to go further afield which I'm prepared to do if it means a worthwhile saving.

knighterrant said:
Fixed price for a C-Class last year was £369. Additional operations depend on year/mileage and could include brake fluid change @ £59, replace spark plugs @ £109, ATF & filter change @ £251, air filter @ £76, fuel filter @ £66. So £465.35 sounds as though it could be about right depending on the extras needed. Always worth asking for a discount - most dealers are prepared to offer something to retain your custom.

That is a fantastic help cheers.

Assuming a modest increase it does sound ballpark correct :-(

Read a few people mentioning supplying their own oil...is this something that realistically you can do so long as it complies with min MB requirements. I suspect a big chunk of the cost is for something as basic as the oil.

You do not have to stick to the dealership to maintain your warranty.

MDC250 said:
Read a few people mentioning supplying their own oil...is this something that realistically you can do so long as it complies with min MB requirements. I suspect a big chunk of the cost is for something as basic as the oil.

Correct supplying your own oil makes a worthwhile saving.

Think B1 is standard (oil and filters) but as car is 2yrs old will need brake fluid change and that is included in the price.

Will have to stick with MB Stealership to maintain warranty etc.

I'm pretty surrounded by Inchcape dealers so would have to go further afield which I'm prepared to do if it means a worthwhile saving.

I'm new to main dealers, are Inchcape particulary expensive as they are the closest to me?

Its not only servicing that changes with differant groups, If you ring 3 different dealer groups the cost of parts will also be different and some list the parts on ebay even cheaper than if you ring them direct

WG M-B said:
You do not have to stick to the dealership to maintain your warranty.

Yeah I've thought about that for things like brakes...use a VAT registered garage with genuine Merc parts etc but for something like engine I'm probably best taking the main Stealership pasting to save any possible argument?!

chrisdean said:
I'm new to main dealers, are Inchcape particulary expensive as they are the closest to me?

I'll let you know, will be getting a few other prices. Worth checking and taking a balanced view in the round I guess, taking things like convenience into account.

Get some alternative quotes from a indie, they are not always much better value than a main dealer.

Eg from elsewhere -

My c220 received a B service this week. They were £50 more than the local Indy, but as the thing was still in warranty I went with them. Communication was superb, my first experience with Merc and I am very pleased. Well done Exeter Merc. We still have one warranty issue to resolve, but I am giving them the benifit of doubt for for now.

For a £50 difference I would choose main dealer every time.

Last edited:
The _Don said:
Get some alternative quotes from a indie, they are not always much better value than a main dealer. Eg from elsewhere - My c220 received a B service this week. They were £50 more than the local Indy, but as the thing was still in warranty I went with them. Communication was superb, my first experience with Merc and I am very pleased. Well done Exeter Merc. We still have one warranty issue to resolve, but I am giving them the benifit of doubt for for now. For a £50 difference I would choose main dealer every time.

Totally agree if that's the sort of difference in cost. I was just shocked at what is basically a very expensive (IMO) oil and brake fluid change!

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of why people choose indies over main dealers, and vice versa.
If its all about cost and the blind belief that the mb dealer is better in almost every aspect then choose them for sure. If you want a more personal experience and to build a relationship with someone you trust then find a good Indy. The treatment your car gets at a decent Indy will be better than a main dealer for sure. That is of course unless Jack, who is the 20 years served diagnostic tech services it every time it goes in!

So I think there is a decent Indy in Liverpool that I have details of...any others in and around Merseyside/South Lancs that people have experience of?

Cheers

Just for a Belgian comparison: Had an A0 service on my C300 CDI done this week, with replacement of 2 airfilters, at 435 euro. Additional gearbox oil change added 270 euro to the bill, which frankly I thought was very expensive for what is really a standard C class.

MDC - Wish mine was £405 ... I've been quoted for a B service, with brake fluid, air and fuel filter.

£704 !!! (they collect the car and bring it back to me)

Service B Routine Maintenance cost*:

£297.62

• Replace brake fluid
    £90.00
  • Replace air filter element
    £140.28
  • Replace fuel filter
    £126.24
For your reference the 7G gearbox oil change is £305 ...

6cyl said:
MDC - Wish mine was £405 ... I've been quoted for a B service, with brake fluid, air and fuel filter. £704 !!! (they collect the car and bring it back to me) Service B Routine Maintenance cost*: £297.62 [*]Replace brake fluid £90.00 [*] Replace air filter element £140.28 [*] Replace fuel filter £126.24 For your reference the 7G gearbox oil change is £305 ...

Sounds like they are trying to have your pants down!

I was expecting more when I swapped from my SR180 Auris but just fecks me off paying that sort of money for what is pretty basic stuff.

I'm in a bad mood generally because of work so ignore my rants people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom