W204 blower problem.. looking advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

denbob

Car
C350 CDI
Hi there,

I have a 2008 W204 C220 CDI.

I have been having intermittent problems with the blower, it normally works fine after starting the car, but after 10 mins or so of blowing hot or cold air at full speed, it still makes noise but there is very little air coming through the vents.
Any ideas what it could be / is this an easy DIY job?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

Mercedes Benz W204 C Class and C Class AMG Why is My Heater Not Working - Mbworld

I think you access the fan from underneath the dash-its either held in with screws or a sort of twist and lock bayonet type fiting.

s-l1600.jpg
item 7

Last edited:
Thanks.

So its easy enough to access. I looked at the link also, problem is mine blower does work, just not all the time.
It was working this morning blowing hot air and it worked leaving work, then it sounded like it was working, but there was no air coming through the vents.

This happened with the cool air / air con last year but I hadnt taken much notice of it. Now however its noticeable when driving along and the hot air stops being pushed out....
brrrrrr....

any thoughts on whether its blower motor related / resistor related... etc?

any ideas what might be causing this?

It only seems to happen when i have the blower on max for a while. Then it sounds like its still blowing but theres no air coming via the vents.

Important to distinguish between hot air and no air being blown out. Initially there is an electrical heater which provides the heat till the engine coolant heats up. There may be a problem there- or--the fan may be jamming but the motor still turning difficult to say. Perhaps putting the car on the Mercedes star diagnostic system might help. However if the the problem is purely mechanical then it may not show up on the diagnostic.

Thanks Grober,

There is still air coming through the vents, although only just. The motor sounds like it is working on full speed and the display is showing full power. It is warm just no force. There is force when starting the car.
If I switch off the engine and leave for 15/20 mins and restart, I have the ful blower force again.... for another 10 -15 mins....

Being intermittent I dont know if it will appear on the diagnostics system.

Hi all. Did you find a solution to this problem? I have a similar issue with the blower of my 2012 W204 C250 CDI. Its like the blower has a mind on its own and starts or stops randomly, no matter if I have the climate control on manual or auto. Windshield defog setting is affected too. I can tell the air temperature coming out the air vents has the correct temperature when I am cruising in the highway and fresh air flows in.

Mine does the same....the blower appears to have a mind of its own and it is difficult to figure out exactly what it is trying to achieve.

If you put the heating system into Auto mode besides turning on the air con it extinguishes the manually set fan speed indicators and decides itself what fan speed to use perhaps initially at high speed and then throttling back once the set temperature is reached. Could this explain your symptoms ?

I don't normally use auto mode so it fooled me when pressing auto suddenly changed the fan speed to maximum. I had to read the manual to figure out what it was doing.

Hi there, no I never got it sorted and its still a real pain.

I found this link and it explains the same problem.
A/C stops blowing any air all of a sudden, while still staying "On" - MBWorld.org Forums

Mine didnt work earlier today (hot or cold air) but still made plenty of noise. I turned the blower off completely and let it 'reset for about ten mins, turned it back on but not up to top speed or heat and it worked again.
I think its the blower regulator but am reluctant to buy one until I know for sure.

I did not visit the forum for a while and I did not see the new posts here. I had fixed mine about a year ago. Anyway, if you still have the problem or just for reference for anyone else out there, it was just a bad connector! One of the wires coming from the central console controller going into the fan blower was loose in the connector attaching to the blower connector. Hard to realize it! I used a continuity tester and tested all wires from the connector pins all the way to the controller to find it. I tightened the wire and problem fixed. This issue obviously left no error codes in the car's ECU.

I did not visit the forum for a while and I did not see the new posts here. I had fixed mine about a year ago. Anyway, if you still have the problem or just for reference for anyone else out there, it was just a bad connector! One of the wires coming from the central console controller going into the fan blower was loose in the connector attaching to the blower connector. Hard to realize it! I used a continuity tester and tested all wires from the connector pins all the way to the controller to find it. I tightened the wire and problem fixed. This issue obviously left no error codes in the car's ECU.

what was it actually doing, my car blows no hot air at all

Is there any more feedback or details on the connection. I had this exact issue today . Cold air but it slowed to a trickle. Lots of fan noise. Sounded like it was blowing away but barely anything from the vents. Tried it again this evening and all was well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom