W204 C Class - burned (brown) wire rear light cluster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alt

Car
C220
Hi all.

See pic below.

Today I noticed that my driving lights (rear right) were dim so decided to investigate. I don't know if the wrong wattage bulbs were put in (this is what I thought), but when I investigated I notice that the brown wire is very hot and burning out... OK so needs to be sorted ASAP

Firstly, did this happen anyone before?

Secondly, this will need to be repaired - is the connection mini-spades? It was dark when I noticed to decided to leave it until tomorrow to pull apart. When I did try to remove the connector, the brown wire wanted to stay put... so think i'm best leaving until it's cool to pull out with a plyers, but I suspect it'll break.

Finally, is this brown wire powering the driving lights (top and bottom??) not too familiar with the wiring tbh.

Thanks all.

IMAG1978_zpsrsxej1ix.jpg

Turns out it's a common problem after Googling. I'm going to put a bigger earth cable in there.

Can anyone advise me of the part no. for both the backing plate and the black plastic connector, as i'm sure both need replacing.

Also, what is the connector I need to purchase to make off a new connection with a heavier cable? As in, the female connector that is crimped at the end of each of the cables.

Many thanks!

The cable isn't the issue, the connector is. Just unplug the connector, crimp the mating parts together very slightly and reseat the plug

The brown wire is the earth so it takes all the earth current when the lights are lit

Nick Froome

The cable isn't the issue, the connector is. Just unplug the connector, crimp the mating parts together very slightly and reseat the plug

The brown wire is the earth so it takes all the earth current when the lights are lit

Nick Froome

Thanks Nick. Will dis-assemble after the weekend and see if I can re-use my old bits. If it looks melted, i'm going to replace the backing plate and the connector (but solder a heavier gauge directly, regardless)

I did this fix today, soldered directly onto the metal earth 'board' and used a circular lug to connect to the frame of the car.

I notice that the 'wedge' bulb on the top of the light cluster is dim. I remember replacing this in the past and suspect i used too low a wattage of a bulb. Can anyone tell me what wattage this bulb should be? Thanks

Alt, I replaced mine with LED's and they're lovely! I think (but am not sure) they are 501 LED Canbus error free. Just be aware that you invariably put them in wrong way round first time, then have to pull them and turn them over so they'll light, so test before you clip the plate back into place!

^^ Upgrade to LED would be lovely alright, it's something i've always wanted to do, actually.

Got a link on where to purchase decent quality?

First check your owners manual for the bulb type. I think the little top ones are 501 5W but not 100% sure - and wife has the car today so can't look there! I've also just ordered these to try :
4x BA15S 1156 7506 P21W No Error Canbus CREE LED Backup Reverse Light Bulbs | eBay

Make sure any you buy are specifically Canbus error free or you'll get error messages on the dash. Also for the festoon bulbs (number plate etc) look for ones with a heat sink. I initially put non heat sink ones in my 968, they died pretty quickly. The heat sink varietyare still working happily!

With LED's the bulbs have to be "the right way round", so test before you put the fitting back together, if one does not come on then turn it 180 degrees and try again!

I did the front side lights a good while back, really fiddly job, plus if you have to pull the holder out agasin the square edges of the LED bulb catch, the bulb pulls out of the holder and drops irretrievably inside the headlight! For all I know 1 is still in there. If I decide to do it again, I'll look for a Cree type bulb with rounded edges!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom