W204 C Class Coupe Humming noise at high speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmartMAC

Car
C250 CDI Sport Coupe AMG
It has happened twice but it is definitely not down to road surface. Friday it happened after 25 minutes driving at 70mph but not noticeable at low speeds. Today, in the way to IKEA after a few minutes driving and at 70mph it came back. It disappeared when I got into town. I took the same route in the way back but I could not replicate it.

The noise is similar to running with a tyre very low in pressure. Its like a humming noise and quite loud. Changing lane, speeding up or slowing down does not appear to have an effect on the noise. Tyres appear to be fine and pressure is OK too.

The car is a manual 2011 C class coupe with just 55K miles. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have had this a couple of times with Conti tyres, as they age they get harder and make a humming noise.

Could also be a bearing or something though, very difficult to know without hearing it.

Car is on the winter tyres at the moment (Dunlop) but I would expect to be able to replicate it if it was the tyres. Also, it is quite loud when it happens.
Trying to get MB to have a look at it today but struggling to get pass reception and talk to a technician so I can drop the car off.

Car has been to MB and they could not find anything. They did mention that the tyres are blocky as they get older and that is the most likely cause of the noise. They checked tyres, bearings, suspension and so on and found nothing during the test drive either.

I'll keep and eye on it. Really impressed MB Bolton managed to get the car checked out the same day without pre booking. Came back valeted too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom