W204 C200 Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me what these W204 C200 Kompressors are like in terms of MPG and performance? The C220 CDi and C320 CDi's are holding their values which put them out of my price budget. For these prices I can get a top spec 2006/7 model S211 E320 CDi but I drove one and its a bit too big than I initially thought it was.

Ive been trying to find a C200 Kompressor estate with beige interior (cloth or leather), elegance seats and burlwood (or whatever wood it is called)in the interior panels rather than the standard aluminium or metal look.

Seems like this combo is very rare?

MPG should be mid to high 30's on average and reasonable performance. It will be a bit slower than your 124 but more frugal and a lot better road holding etc but a lot worse ride quality.

If tyhe 211 is not for you, fair play, but its better value pound for pound but I can see the appeal for the nimbler car.

A lot worse ride quality? I was led to believe they were good and comfortable for long journeys :confused:

This really isnt easy at all, so much harder than I thought.

The C320/C220 CDi's are holding their values to around £18k + for a decent spec, the E320 CDi's in my budget range have all the options but have galactic mileage on them!

At first I thought the S211 would be perfect, and from the outside it doesnt look that big. Having driven it, I can definately say the ride quality is fantastic, it just wafts along comfortably like a cruise ship and the power is definately there. However, the rear end just didnt seem to have an end to it from the inside! First thing that came to my mind was, im going to have some major parking issues :crazy:

Dont slate me for this but I had a look at these cars as well, and this is what I thought of it...

Mercedes S211 E320 CDi - Beautiful looking car, perfect cabin ergonomics and feels like your at home. Drives beautifully but its just too big for my liking.

Mercedes W204 C320 CDi - The size is just right and the looks from the outside has really grown on me. Its all plastic galore from the inside and feels cheap. Still yet have to drive one.

BMW 330 Sport Touring - Not bad looks on the outside and a good size too. Very rough suspension and so bland and boring from the inside, feels like a prison cell on wheels.

BMW E60 530d M Sport - This one looked good, drove pretty well and remained comfortable. The inside of it is just plain ****e (you need a degree to work the idrive system). Just as big as the Merc S211 if not bigger.

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 2.4 JDTM - Lovely looking car from the outside and pretty snug from the inside. Good power delivery but the gearbox is crap! How often will it go wrong is the question!?

Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.0 TDi - This particular one was remapped to 210bhp so pulled pretty well. Still had the prison cell on wheels feel to it from the inside, had the "typical sales rep" look all over it.

So, as you can see im confused beyond belief!

Just get the 211 E320 CDJ. It won't be that much bigger and you'll soon get used to parking it etc. E-class is in a different league to the Alfa, 3-series etc - no comparison.

Don't worry about the mileage too much either, look for a nice one with a good spec that's been well looked after.

IMHO :)

Will

A lot worse ride quality? I was led to believe they were good and comfortable for long journeys :confused:

Mercedes S211 E320 CDi -
Mercedes W204 C320 CDi -
BMW 330 Sport Touring
BMW E60 530d M Sport - .
Alfa Romeo 159
Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.0 TDi -

So, as you can see im confused beyond belief!

I am in the same predicament as you at the moment looking for a replacement for my Volvo, I have driven 5 out of 6 of the cars you mention and my opinion (for what it's worth) below.

Mercedes S211 E320 CDi - Smooth refined a nice big car if you want that, drive not very involving a cruiser rather than a drivers car.

Mercedes W204 C320 CDi - A nimbler version of the above but somehow I thought the diesel sounded harsher in this car maybe less sound proofing? Steve is correct this and the C200K ride is no where near that of a 124, not for me as does not feel like a proper MB

BMW 330 Sport Touring- Fantastic car with dynamic handling let down by the interior space and load area does everything right with good driver feed back , too small when compared to MB W204 estate.

BMW E60 530d M Sport - Great car but big same as 211 offers more driver feedback and better handling, i-drive is fiddly but easy once you get used to it.

Alfa Romeo 159 Unless you like spending lots of time on the hard shoulder don't go near it, price makes it a tempting buy but high cost of repairs will soon take the edge of that.

Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.0 TDi - Drivetrain set up not suited to the 2.0i engine feels very underpowered when you are trying to press on, handling a little imprecise very unexciting to drive, not the best Audi.

depends what you want out of a car but from your list.

Best all rounder :- Mercedes S211

Best drivers car :- BMW 330 sport touring.

Just my twopenneth :)

Last edited:
Nick:For what you need the car,a cheap S124 would do

Thanks flanaia. I am very swayed by the S211 but your definately right its not that much of a drivers car, thats where the E55 or E63 come into it I guess? It is fantastically smooth and refined, and I can actually fit all of my drum kit in there and still have some space left over. I know it will be fantastic for long journeys on the motorways and those trips to europe.

Im still yet to drive an Audi A6, but trying to get my hands on one to test drive is hard. Have you tried one of those?

Dash, I need an estate to carry my drum kit around and one that will give me good MPG figures too for those long journeys. The 124 is a great car but now I want something modern.

By the way, which year 211 is the better? 2003 E320 model or the 2007 facelifted version (E280 CDi Sport)?

Im still yet to drive an Audi A6, but trying to get my hands on one to test drive is hard. Have you tried one of those?

Audi A6 Avant is on my short-list, It's a really good car very responsive, very agile and the bigger engines suit the quattro system a lot better, it's also a big car not in the same league as an E Class estate but still big dimension wise. Trouble is finding good used examples is quite difficult

SWMBO drives an Audi A8 and I grin every time I drive it, it really is an involved and pleasurable driving experience which leans me to the Audi.

Will keep you posted on my search and test drives :thumb:

By the way, which year 211 is the better? 2003 E320 model or the 2007 facelifted version (E280 CDi Sport)?

The one without the 7 speed gearbox (if there is one?) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom