W204 C220 CDI: change of transmission oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rassi

Car
C300 CDI 4matic
I have an '09 S204 C220 CDI with the trusty 5 speed automatic transmission, and 72.000 kms (about 45000 miles). It has a full MBSH but no records of transmission oil change.

From reading through some of the threads I gather that a 30-45K miles change is recommended? Anyone had it done at this sort of mileage and any noticeable improvements (as I find the transmission very smooth already)?

Thanks,

Anders

It is often argued the first change is the important one since any fluid contamination will have been influenced by the "bedding in" process of all the transmission components. Subsequent changes may not require the same frequency. Having said this the gearbox in a car that has done mainly top gear motorway miles will not have experienced the same mechanical stresses that a car used in taxi mode in an urban environment with lots of gear changes/stop start motoring. Sounds as if a fluid change might be in order.

I had the ATF changed in my 7g and it made no difference, it was still ****e. Ran an E220cdi with the 5spd box and had ATF changed twice, and both noticable improvements. Even without, its bad for the car NOT to do it.

MB advise doing a change at 40k and then leave it alone. I think many people would continue to change it every 40-50k.

Thanks for the replies! I have about 10.000 km to the next scheduled service (B3) at which point it will have done 84.000 km.

Interesting that MB now recommend doing an oil change, had to push them hard to change it on my "sealed for life" C43 AMG some years ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom