W204 C220 CDI Engine Warm Up Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bennn

Car
W204 C220 CDI Coupe
Hi all.

I've noticed my C220 CDI takes a long time to warm up. I timed it on a run this morning and it was 25 minutes before it reached 90 degrees. That journey time included a lot of NSL driving, although I was pottering.

Its not really cold here (7 degrees) and once it got to 90 it didn't dip below. Over a run of 140 miles today I averaged over 60mpg too.

I've had thermostat issues with other cars but usually they never get to temp unless your in traffic and then drop back below as soon as you start moving again.

Wondering if its normal or if I need to replace the thermostat?

If the latter is it and easy enough job and what make is recommended?

Its a 2012 Coupe if that makes any difference?

Last edited:
If it's the original and it's average mileage yes .

They aren't quick up to temp because of a 10L coolant capacity , my 1.9 TDI is 6L and like a rocket to 90°.

If it's the original and it's average mileage yes .

They aren't quick up to temp because of a 10L coolant capacity , my 1.9 TDI is 6L and like a rocket to 90°.

Its done 106k now.

Just found it odd that once its at 90 it stays there. Other car's I've had with knackered stats either wont get to temp, or get there in traffic and then drop back down when moving.

don't complain, my W205 gets up to temp pretty quickly but i can only dream of 60mpg on a run :)

I had it replaced on my 11 plate on 73K , nothing wrong , just having a leaking fuel filter housing , water pump and fuel filter done at the same time .

High failure item .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Past it's best and will only go one way .

I had it replaced on my 11 plate on 73K , nothing wrong , just having a leaking fuel filter housing , water pump and fuel filter done at the same time .

High failure item .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Past it's best and will only go one way .

Yes, tend to agree. What did the above cost if you don't mind me asking?

I've done thermostats and water pumps on various cars before but can't find any DIY on the OM651 engine.

Mine talks a good 30 mins or longer sometimes to get up to temp. Mines a 2012 C250 cdi estate.
Its worse at the moment with all the stop start traffic the engine barely gets above 1500rpm so no chance to get any real heat into it.

Mine W204 C220 also takes a good 30 minutes to warm up always has its done 50k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom