W204 C220 CDI (OM646) - realistic MPG? potentially looking to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ahimsa

Car
Ford Focus
Evening all.

Sorry to post yet another "MPG" post but I trying to determine what I can realistically expect from a W204 C220 CDI with the OM646 engine.

I am in need of a car as a stop gap for 8 months or so, ideally an automatic as I'll be travelling 82 miles round trip, mainly on A roads. After doing some research It would seem that the W204 C220 with the OM646 engine and 5G gearbox is proven to be quite reliable however it would appear it isnt the most fuel efficient; reading posts on here i'm seeing between low 30s to high 40s.

I know MPG is dependent on a multitude of things but what can I expect to get realistically on a ~40 mile trip mainly A roads and what are those who have had / currently have receiving on theirs?

The blueefficiency models appear to return better MPG but I'm put off with various issues i've read on here, specifically injector issues / timing chains issues (I had a BMW with the N47 engine that had the timing chain fail on me so i don't fancy another hassle like that!!)

Thanks in advance.

According to the dashboard readout I average 45mpg on my S204 C220 (2008), mainly short runs of 4-8 miles each way, occasionally a few miles more and even more occasionally 120 miles each way - when it shows closer to 50mpg - and I'm not driving like Miss Daisy!

That is quite impressive! I believe the s204 is the estate, so a heavier car too, I assume that is with the om646 engine?

If you're getting 45mpg on short runs like that then on a long 40 mile run going between 40 - 50 mph I should in theory expect to see the same if not more!

yep same here C220 CDI Blue efficiency W204 estate . without effort I get 45MPG. When the petrol price went up in the petrol shortage I managed over 60 MPG but that was driving (like everyone else) with eggshells under the accelerator and no braking.

611 and 646 engines are good, but mpg figures will pale into insignificance if the 204`s rear subframe is rotten. A bad fault with `07 `08 204s
Read posts on here about this problem.

I'm not that familiar with the OM646 , did this span both W203 and pre facelift W204 ??

Screenshot_20211012-112042_Drive.jpg

Anyway some of my 'good ' S204 OM651 C250 CDI BlueEfficiency short and longer journey smiles per gallon , even more of a Unicorn combination with 580 Nm !

20200711_085401.jpg

2019-02-15 20.36.34.jpg

Those are some impressive figures! thanks all.

I have in the end gone with a VW Passat DSG instead (wish me luck!) as the model of C220 I was looking at was pre blue efficiency so slightly less MPG I believe!

At least your gearbox will be quick unlike the Merc torque converter 😴

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom