W204 C220 Estate Towbar electrics wiring up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mcsterl

Car
W204 Estate
Hi Folks,

New to the forum, i'll give a better background to myself in an intro thread.

For now though, I'm looking to fit a towbar to my 2014 W204 platform C220 Estate.

The detachable towbars are reasonably priced (circa £160 including bypass relay) compared with my local tame towbar fitting firm (circa £380), so I'm wondering if there is anything to worry about from wiring up at home.

I've wired a good many of my previous cars up without trouble, but in this case my Dad was erring caution about any potential damage to the C220, are we worrying about nothing or is this best left to the cape and mask wearing professionals?

Paul.

A question best addressed to the Westfalia dealer. The kit may need to be coded to the car I'm not sure?

A question best addressed to the Westfalia dealer. The kit may need to be coded to the car I'm not sure?

I'll find out, thank you for the guidance.

cheers, Paul.

I had A Witter tow bar fitted to my S204, it was 'plug in and play' installation, complete with electrical looms.
It was installed in a couple of hours by an independent workshop (Dorchester) and cost approx £450.
Witter quoted a lot more than this to install the tow bar.
Tony

Last edited:
I had A Witter tow bar fitted to my S204, it was 'plug in and play' installation, complete with electrical looms.
It was installed in a couple of hours by an independent workshop (Dorchester) and cost approx £450.
Witter quoted a lot more than this to install the tow bar.
Tony

Thanks Tony,

With some of the quotes i've been receiving, I'm toying with the idea of the Westfalia dealer just fitting the wiring and i'll do the rest.

Paul.

McSterl
can recommend Hedleys at Durham - they have done 5 towbars for me, and two after the dealer declined. Good workmanship and a free check up on bar torques if you drop by.
I have had a detachable Westfalia and now a Brink on MB, both with dedicated electrics. If use want MB to code the car afterwards that will be £60-70 of your cash. Can not say what will not work if not coded as had both of mind done at dealer. Hedleys will probably advise you to use the dedicated electrics if towing more than a small trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom