W204 C220cdi cut out now won’t turn over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

declanb

Car
c220 sports tourer
Whilst slowing to a junction earlier today. My dash lights all lit up as if I had just turned the ignition on, the engine cut out and I couldn’t restart it, I.e. it won’t even attempt to engage the starter. There was no clattering, banging or anything, it was as though someone unplugged something. In the last couple of weeks occasionally the starting was a little lazy (not the usual instant fire up, took a couple of turns)
Called the RAC out as I had no tools with me. They plugged the car into there generic code reader and no faults showed up. He tried the usual jump leads and nothing. Checked the main fuse box under bonnet with multimeter and nothing. Eventually got it recovered home. I have rechecked main fuse box, rear fuse box. Measured volts on both batteries and both are measuring around 11 volts. I accept I have probably dropped a bit of power with messing about, interior lights on etc, but I would expect at least clicking from the starter. I have also removed one of the injector pipes from fuel rail to injector, fuel pipe was empty. I would have expected a pressure release.One thing worth mentioning is since I bought the car 3 years ago, occasionally when you try and start nothing happens. Do the old off and on again and it always starts 2nd time round. I could understand an ignition problem if it won’t start as I’ve heard they can be temperamental. It’s just the fact it cut out while driving and now won’t do anything.
Has anyone any advice or had similar issues.
All help and suggestions gratefully recieved

Does the steering lock and unlock correctly with the key?

Yes. When you insert the key you can hear the solenoids working, steering lock releasesand the ignition “on” works as normal. On the odd occasions over the last 3 years when the car wouldn’t turn over with first turn of key everything else still worked.

You waited three years before it failed completely?
Not convinced it’s the ignition. Only ever had an issue when turning it to the start position. Why would cause it to cut out? Currently, there is a small volt drop when you turn it to the start position so something is happening. Would it not show up on diagnostic tool?

I would have said it sounds like the starter relay, or the key switch breaking down over the years and has finally gone? have you checked wires down at the starter solenoid.

I would have said it sounds like the starter relay, or the key switch breaking down over the years and has finally gone? have you checked wires down at the starter solenoid.
Going to get underneath today and carry out tests on starter. The thing that is puzzling me is that it was actually running. I was slowing for a junction when it cut out. All the pre start ignition functions are working fine. I’m wondering if there is something preventing the starter kicking in. One check I did last night was to remove one of the injector pipes. I would have expected some pressure there, there wasn’t. Would it be possible that the ecu needs to see fuel pressure before it allows the engine to turn over?

Update. Fully tested starter relay. Seems ok. Relay can be felt operating when key turned to start position. I presume this rules out ignition

Whilst slowing to a junction earlier today. My dash lights all lit up as if I had just turned the ignition on, the engine cut out and I couldn’t restart it, I.e. it won’t even attempt to engage the starter. There was no clattering, banging or anything, it was as though someone unplugged something. In the last couple of weeks occasionally the starting was a little lazy (not the usual instant fire up, took a couple of turns)
Called the RAC out as I had no tools with me. They plugged the car into there generic code reader and no faults showed up. He tried the usual jump leads and nothing. Checked the main fuse box under bonnet with multimeter and nothing. Eventually got it recovered home. I have rechecked main fuse box, rear fuse box. Measured volts on both batteries and both are measuring around 11 volts. I accept I have probably dropped a bit of power with messing about, interior lights on etc, but I would expect at least clicking from the starter. I have also removed one of the injector pipes from fuel rail to injector, fuel pipe was empty. I would have expected a pressure release.One thing worth mentioning is since I bought the car 3 years ago, occasionally when you try and start nothing happens. Do the old off and on again and it always starts 2nd time round. I could understand an ignition problem if it won’t start as I’ve heard they can be temperamental. It’s just the fact it cut out while driving and now won’t do anything.
Has anyone any advice or had similar issues.
All help and suggestions gratefully recieved
battery or alternator? 11 volts is low for a battery should around 12.8

Yes. When you insert the key you can hear the solenoids working, steering lock releasesand the ignition “on” works as normal. On the odd occasions over the last 3 years when the car wouldn’t turn over with first turn of key everything else still worked.

Mine always did that too, both before and after the ESL and ignition switch were replaced. It hadn’t done it for like a year then it did it the other day outside work. Key out and in and it starts as usual. Whatevs.

I wonder if there’s an interlock issue with yours, park switch maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom