W204 C250 cdi B/E review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rothbury

Car
E250 cdi estate 2013
Merc magazine had a piece about the revised C250cdi sport estate highlighting the changes between the new one and my 2009 version.
Apart from the interior improvements most of the article was cetnred on the 7-g gearbox which was highly praised. From reading things on this forum and in particular posts about the E350 with the 7-g box I am by no means convinced that it is in fsct any beteter than the 5 speed box.
Admitted ly it seems that with the 7-g and the stop start the fuel consumption is better but I seem to remmber some people slating the 7-g box.
Has anyone on here driven the C250 cdi with both and if so what is the general impression?

I read the same one with interest as I've just ordered the saloon version of the same thing. I don't really get the 7G's bad rep, since I've had one in my 08 C320 CDI and it's been smooth, quick to respond and otherwise unobtrusive over 90k miles now, but I've never had the MB 5 speed to compare it to, only a Saab Aero and the 8 speed in an E60 525d and it was certainly at least as good as either of those. Test drive it and see - if you are a conosseiur of these things you may have higher standards than me, but I think its fine

Last edited:
There's a 7G and a newer 7Gplus.

It's the new 7Gplus that tends to get the more recent praise.

I read the same one with interest as I've just ordered the saloon version of the same thing. I don't really get the 7G's bad rep, since I've had one in my 08 C320 CDI and it's been smooth, quick to respond and otherwise unobtrusive over 90k miles now

I've had two cars now with 7Gs - and found them brilliant. If the Plus is even better, it must be utterly fantastic. Great! :D

After driving Audi's superb dual-clutch gearboxes for the last 5 years, the only real criticism I would have of the 7G+ is the kickdown.

It takes a good 2 seconds from when the pedal hits the switch to get any power down onto the road. Rapid overtaking is best done using the manual over-ride.

I have also noticed a quietish whine from the 'box at slower speeds, but put this down to running in at the moment.

I've had two cars now with 7Gs - and found them brilliant. If the Plus is even better, it must be utterly fantastic. Great! :D

If only I could say the same. Every single 7g car I've driven has had a shifting problem, mine on the 1 to 2 up change, another 2 on the 2 into 1, another one was just so rough and jerky.

After driving Audi's superb dual-clutch gearboxes for the last 5 years, the only real criticism I would have of the 7G+ is the kickdown.

It takes a good 2 seconds from when the pedal hits the switch to get any power down onto the road. Rapid overtaking is best done using the manual over-ride.

I have also noticed a quietish whine from the 'box at slower speeds, but put this down to running in at the moment.

2 secs, the old 5g would kickdown in half that. In the 7gs defence, the other box had less gears to go down.

It shouldn't whine. I'd have it looked at.

Reliablity wise, I've not heard of any major failings of the 7g or 5g boxes but there are some interesting stories of valve bodies etc needing replaced on 7g cars, a mere snip at £1000.

The VAG DSGs are brilliant, over a very long term and potential costs, the 7g will win, but for actual driving, the DSG is vastly superior to the 7g.

If only I could say the same. Every single 7g car I've driven has had a shifting problem, mine on the 1 to 2 up change, another 2 on the 2 into 1, another one was just so rough and jerky.

2 secs, the old 5g would kickdown in half that. In the 7gs defence, the other box had less gears to go down.

Must be the way you drive 'em...lol :dk:. Rough and jerky is the absolute opposite to my experience. I would go for smooth as silk!!! (You'll like my car when you get it!!).

When overtaking, I always flick to tiptronic to drop a gear and gain that extra bit of personal control over the manouevre. I honestly can't imagine needing any more power - it just flies!! :thumb:

I'm sure you must drive different cars to me Steve, because that DSG gearbox is pap!

I've driven various VW/Audis with that box and it's drastically overrated IMHO....

The 7G on the other hand is brilliant.

When deciding which car to buy I ended up with a back to back test of an A4 with DSG and a C250CDI (dealerships next door). The gearboxes on both were fine, with the DSG you knew a gear change had happened but it was smooth, with the G7 it was so smooth that it was like a CVT. Of course when pushing hard it is different but I like to judge on normal driving.

In the end I was very happy with both although I then found out how many failures VAG have had with the DSG and that put me off. If you catch a DSG failure quickly it is just £1500 for a replacement mechtronic if not £5000 for a new gearbox

2 secs to kick down....hmmm a slight exaggeration IMHO....that is a hell of a long time.

So you put your foot to floor ...count 1001 - 1002 and then it happens?? :D:D:D My car would have gone into orbit by then.....(now who is exaggerating?) :D

Thank you all for the input. I have to say I do prefer the front of the original car . I don't know why they had to mess around with the headlights!

Love my C250. 7G Plus is great. I mainly use in e mode but put into sport and it'll rev up to 4500 before changing up. I find it plenty fast enough.

2 secs to kick down....hmmm a slight exaggeration IMHO....that is a hell of a long time.

So you put your foot to floor ...count 1001 - 1002 and then it happens?? :D:D:D My car would have gone into orbit by then.....(now who is exaggerating?) :D

LOL

Seriously : in D, ECO on, stuck behind a truck doing 50 in an NSL zone, clear road ahead, mirror-signal-plant foot to floor, start pulling out, 1 elephant, 2 elephants... :eek: ...

In (dynamic) SPORT mode the pause is < 1 sec.

I guess it depends on how many gears it has to change down through, as Sport tends to cruise at higher revs and in a lower gear to D. It's probably going from 7th to 3rd/4th in this example.

Must be the way you drive 'em...lol :dk:. Rough and jerky is the absolute opposite to my experience. I would go for smooth as silk!!! (You'll like my car when you get it!!).

!!

I think I will like it, the 350cdi I sampled in the CLS definately had the legs on my 211. In a 204, it will be adorably fast.

Plus I need a wagon, I find the saloon tiresome at times for camping trips, holidays etc

I think I will like it, the 350cdi I sampled in the CLS definately had the legs on my 211. In a 204, it will be adorably fast.

Plus I need a wagon, I find the saloon tiresome at times for camping trips, holidays etc

But for The Hog it will need to be a big'un not a compact :thumb:.

in D, ECO on, stuck behind a truck doing 50 in an NSL zone, clear road ahead, mirror-signal-plant foot to floor, start pulling out, 1 elephant, 2 elephants... :eek: ...
In (dynamic) SPORT mode the pause is < 1 sec.

Both cases are totally unacceptable. Perhaps it's an age thing, but I don't trust my life with kickdown - never have!
I ALWAYS flick to manual mode to give me control of the gearbox, not rely on what the gearbox may or may not want to do. Surely it makes sense to be in the right (lower) gear for take-off BEFORE you start the manoeuvre rather than one or two seconds after you have moved out, possibly in the face of fast-approaching oncoming traffic :doh:!
All autos have the potential to dither, hunt or whatever - you don't want them doing that when overtaking!

Surely it makes sense to be in the right (lower) gear for take-off BEFORE you start the manoeuvre rather than one or two seconds after you have moved out, possibly in the face of fast-approaching oncoming traffic :doh:!

If you are reliant on fast acceleration you are driving dangerously.

If you are reliant on fast acceleration you are driving dangerously.

OK, I asked for that...:wallbash:

However, every time we overtake, we make a judgement. What I am saying is that it helps to have total confidence your motor is set up to do the necessary...

I must admit i do find the 7g plus gearbox slow to take off from a standstill especially when pulling out into a gap on roundabouts or from traffic lights, once its going its fine but the initial takeup of gear is painfully slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom