W204 C250 CGI (2012) Common Problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vishal77

Car
C250 CGI Blue Efficiency
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum as I've recently bought a (July) 2012 C250 CGI BlueEfficiency (Facelift W204).

This may sound like an odd question, but I was wondering if there were any "common" problems with this car that I should keep an eye out for.

The reason I ask this random question is because I have also recently bought a 3-series BMW, and after buying it (and joining a forum) I was surprised at how many things can/will go wrong and went about preparing for them!

Thanks in advance!

PS the MB is a much smoother drive than the BMW!

Perhaps tracking - but just subscribing to thread really.

You did not say, manual, satnav etc.

Perhaps tracking - but just subscribing to thread really.

You did not say, manual, satnav etc.

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, I'm not too sure what is/isn't standard on this model.
My C250 is petrol, Auto (7-speed), it's the 1.8L 201/204bhp version (not the newer 1.6L), it hasn't got the SatNav system.

In terms of looks, it's the facelift version, has proper leather seats and 18" AMG alloys.
It's a 4 door saloon.

Thanks

Not seen too many reports here regarding issues with W204 CGIs.

I would say:

A couple of members complained about 'creaking' dash and trim in the cabin of tbe W204, which the dealers could not resolve.

Some complained about low-quality finish of alloy wheels and peeling paint (including on AMG wheels), and about rusty wheel bolts.

A common fault on earlier M271 engines (MB's 4-Cyl petrol model over the past 10 years) was leaking camshaft position sensors leading to oil contamination of the ECU, but I don't know if this affects newer M271 engines as well.

The 7g box is not as reliable as the old 5g, and can cost a fortune to repair if it goes wrong. Also, some members found the 7g gearshifts to be on the jerky side. Said that, it is what it is, and there's no alternative anyway.

Enjoy - it's a very fast car...

Last edited:
Sounds nice.

I ducked an auto as a victim of the VW DSG, the MB is of the same type, I would hope they learned from VW, either way make sure it is serviced very regularly.

Sounds nice.

I ducked an auto as a victim of the VW DSG, the MB is of the same type, I would hope they learned from VW, either way make sure it is serviced very regularly.
The Mercedes 7 speed box in the present W204 is NOT a VW DSG type dual clutch/ preselect type box but a conventional automatic with a lock up torque converter. Perhaps you were misled by the new A/B/CLA class type automatic box which is of this dual clutch type?

Bugger - that means I could have had an auto :(

My wife wants a B class but I told her no because it has a CVT, am I wrong there too, do they have a real auto box?

The old model B class had a " stepped" CVT box with a torque converter I believe. The latest one has a dual automated clutch [DSG] type box. In fact the latest transverse manual and automated box share many internal components differing only in their gear selector mechanism and clutch assemblies

Vishal welcome. Based on my 13 months so far with the same car (though mine is a coupe) , I am pleased to say no issues at all. That said, if you want to know, there is a huge W204 owners thread if you search - the first half of which is all about people deciding on spec / waiting for the new model etc etc, and the second half is more about common gripes, problems or questions. Cheers

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I wasn't expecting many problems, but thought I'd ask because of the (potential) problems I discovered with the BMW (eg issues with cracking alloys, standard alarm systems, being fairly "easy" to steal, HPFP's, engine chains...etc).

I did try looking for a C-Class/W204 section, but couldn't find it easily, I'll have a proper look next time, cheers.

Vishal welcome. Based on my 13 months so far with the same car (though mine is a coupe) , I am pleased to say no issues at all.
Just coming up to two years with my 2012 C350 CGI sport saloon. The only issue I've had has been with the wife when she's taken it out on dirty wet roads within an hour of me having spent half the day cleaning it!! It's been a great car in all respects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom