W204 C250 Coolant leak...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Desmondo

Car
c200
Hi All,

Seems a common problem so apologies for going over old ground.

Just picked up the car a couple of days ago. Took it on a long test drive when collecting, drove 60 miles home, work and back the next day then in the evening the 'Top up coolant' warning appeared. Checked it later that evening, whole expansion tank was empty so I topped it up.

On the way to work warning came on again. Checked later in the day and same thing, expansion tank empty. Filled up again and after 5 miles of driving this morning, warning was back on!

I've google it and seems it's a very common issue, and I've read lots about various points it could be leaking from but I've no idea where to look. Will take it in to the garage, but in the meantime can any give any pointers as to where to check to see if the leak is visible. It's a lot of coolant so I'm surely I should be able to see something somewhere, but I've no idea where to start.

Thanks

So that's the fuel filter housing, located on the right of the engine and the water pump on the front? Is that right?

Last edited:
agree, two common places, look for drips or signs of water crust around the from the top pulley on the engine which is the water pump. the fuel filter housing is a it more difficult to see but its kind of behind where the fuel filter is deep down behind the pipes close tot he inlet manifold on the engine, look for pools of water around the black plastic underneath.

cool, will try to get a look at those first then and take it from there.

Water pump, fuel filter housing and the thermostat are the most common. But, coolant hoses and radiators leaking are a close 2nd.

Where would the Thermostat be located? The whole engine looks like a mass of random pipes to me!

After the top hose.

Cheers, thanks - going to have a look at everything this evening.

I would bring it in if you were closer :)

Ok, finally found time to have a look and I think I'm pretty safe in assuming it's the fuel filter housing? Pump, thermostat all look fine.

Both bolts look the same.

Is this a DIY job? Not exactly used to working on cars and don't have a huge selection of tools. But if it's just taking things off and no special tools required, I think I could manage it.

PXL_20211106_082649890.jpg

Ok, finally found time to have a look and I think I'm pretty safe in assuming it's the fuel filter housing? Pump, thermostat all look fine.

Both bolts look the same.

Is this a DIY job? Not exactly used to working on cars and don't have a huge selection of tools. But if it's just taking things off and no special tools required, I think I could manage it.

View attachment 120504
Yes , it is DIY , I did mine OK. You do not need any special tools , just a decent quarter inch socket set as access is tight.
You MUST get the 3 hole housing. (there are 2 hole ones out there and even a new one will soon leak)
I think it took me about 3 hours as the EGR cooler has to come off as well.
Your cylinder head may or may not have the 3 threaded holes (mine had 3 a 2014 model), if not just miss out the 3rd bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom