w204 c250 facelift head gasket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sadham

Car
w204 facelift c250
My car is losing coolant very quickly. After filling to correct level, driving for about 5 mins the low coolant warning comes up, check the bottle and its empty. The temperature on car hasn't exceeded 90degrees.

Oil doesn't look contaminated, coolant may be can't quite tell, it had a layer of white froth on it. When its cold I've put my finger into the bottle the coolant doesn't have any weird sludgyness to it just becomes nothing when I rub my fingers together. Has what I would describe as a metal smell to it.

The car does give off white smoke, seems more like steam as it doesn't linger around. There is also a sweet smell from the exhaust.

How would I find out if its head gasket or egr cooler? If head gasket is there a guide to do this?

There is a known problem with a coolant leak at the fuel filter housing with the OM651 engines. If you take the plastic cover off you would be able to see coolant below the fuel filter, about halfway up the engine on the right.

Water pumps and fuel filter coolant inlet outlet housing are guaranteed to fail as the replacement new parts have been redesigned .

I haven't been able to find any externally visible coolant leak. And the fact the smell from exhaust is making me think its an internal leak? seems like the coolant is boiling and escaping somewhere. would a leak from water pump or fuel filter cause this?

Will this definitely be the 651 engine?

are these engines that bad?

It was a front end damage and has had new radiator and hoses. Do you reckon it is just a case of air pockets in the system?

It was a front end damage and has had new radiator and hoses. Do you reckon it is just a case of air pockets in the system?
So the car was damaged at the front.
That is the area I suggest you should focus on in the search for leaks.
Maybe the damage was more extensive than you thought?

my car is losing a lot of coolant aswell, is their any way of checking if its the fuel filter housing, im topping up about a 500ml to a litre of water every week or so.

Ive taken all the undertrays off and cannot see any coolant leaking

Hi,

I was losing similar amounts of coolant from my E220 with the same engine.
It was impossible to see any actual coolant leaking though. It must have been evaporating off as I eventually found that the water pump was leaking.
I could see the leak with the engine running when the car was cold as it didn't evaporate.
I had pulled off the front plastic shield and could see it dripping out of the centre of the water pump.
Note -- be careful of your fingers !!!

So my water was replaced 3 months ago, cannot see a leak anywhere,

Ive just tried bleeding mine. Raised the front abit opened coolant cap started the car and put heaters on full. Didnt see no bubbles left it like that til temp was upto 90c then put cap on switched it off. Only driven it once since and was about 5 miles no coolant loss. Hopefully stays that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom