W204 C350 CDi B/E - Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adb1986

Car
E Class
Hi all,

Newbie here, so apologies if this post is basically stupid, previously answered questions!

I'm looking at buying a 2010(ish) C350 CDi B/E Sport saloon as a one car replacement for my current two cars (a V8 Audi and a diesel Citroen). Getting a bit confused generally by all the info I'm reading / hearing, etc.! I just want to get some clarity on a few questions and looking at the info on here this seems like a good place to start!

1. What sort of economy is sensible to expect in the real world from one of these? Official I understand is 42.8mpg, but does anyone actually get anywhere near this? I know this is a 3.0 6-pot and you can't expect it to be like a 1.6, but it would be good to hear some real world opinions on this. I'm coming from running a thirsty V8 and a very eco diesel in parallel, and just want to get some idea of whether the running costs of one of these will make sense.

2. 7G-Tronic / 7G-Tronic Plus. Am I right in saying that anything pre the 2011 facelift (when I believe the 350 also gained a power hike) will have the 7G box, and the facelifts have the plus?

3. Harman Kardon sound upgrade - is it worth it? Finding one on the used market that's got this seems near on impossible - is the standard set up crap, or does it still sound good?!

4. Comand. Does the Comand system play DVD's (films, etc.) through the drive? Also, does this system bring any auxiliary music interface with it (iPod, USB, etc.) or is this another separate option?

Any info anyone can give me on these questions would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read already, I know the responses from here will be leagues ahead of anything I'll get from a dealer (as I found out today)!

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

I have the 350cdi engine on an E class and high 30s/ low 40s mpg is realistic with fairly conservative driving on motorways. Around town around 30 is more realistic. Naturally you will get better figures on a C class but my impression is you really have to try if you want to drive economically as you immediately pay if you enjoy the terrific performance this engine is capable of.

The DVD player will not play videos in the display on the console whilst in motion for safety reasons, though I believe there is a mod you can do to enable this.

My 2011 60 plate E class has the 265bhp power rating and 7g+ gearbox but around that age you need to check.

Good luck with the car search, a C350cdi will be a very refined rocket ship, nimbler though a bit cramped in the back compared to an E.

Last edited:
i have just got a 2010 C350 B/E had it for 2 weeks and on a long run (200miles) i returned 52MPG but this was driving at around the 65-70mph. On my runs to work 35miles each way at about 70mph it returns around 45-46mpg around town i will get about 32mpg but again this is driving with a very light right foot. Great cars but mine aready going in for the wing mirrors squeaking when folding, my tail light n/s cluster has burnt out it's ground connection and when going from manual to auto the gearbox seems not to drop the gears as it should (I'm hoping this all will be done under warranty ) but if not will just get rid of it !!!!!!

If you expect around mid thirties for most of the time you will not be disappointed.

The facelift is obvious as it has the much nicer interior, that means it will have the 7g+ 'box, and then you can expect around 5mpg more.
Straight DRL are also a sign it is a facelift.

But these were MY12 builds so from sept 11 onwards I think.

Hi all,

Newbie here, so apologies if this post is basically stupid, previously answered questions!

I'm looking at buying a 2010(ish) C350 CDi B/E Sport saloon as a one car replacement for my current two cars (a V8 Audi and a diesel Citroen). Getting a bit confused generally by all the info I'm reading / hearing, etc.! I just want to get some clarity on a few questions and looking at the info on here this seems like a good place to start!

1. What sort of economy is sensible to expect in the real world from one of these? Official I understand is 42.8mpg, but does anyone actually get anywhere near this? I know this is a 3.0 6-pot and you can't expect it to be like a 1.6, but it would be good to hear some real world opinions on this. I'm coming from running a thirsty V8 and a very eco diesel in parallel, and just want to get some idea of whether the running costs of one of these will make sense.

2. 7G-Tronic / 7G-Tronic Plus. Am I right in saying that anything pre the 2011 facelift (when I believe the 350 also gained a power hike) will have the 7G box, and the facelifts have the plus?

3. Harman Kardon sound upgrade - is it worth it? Finding one on the used market that's got this seems near on impossible - is the standard set up crap, or does it still sound good?!

4. Comand. Does the Comand system play DVD's (films, etc.) through the drive? Also, does this system bring any auxiliary music interface with it (iPod, USB, etc.) or is this another separate option?

Any info anyone can give me on these questions would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read already, I know the responses from here will be leagues ahead of anything I'll get from a dealer (as I found out today)!

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

I have a similar car (Sport Plus version) and average about 42+ on long motorway runs at around 80 or so ^ :) Around town it's quite a bit less and if you have a heavy foot, the fuel consumption can be worse than my brother on a Saturday night out (very bad!) Overall mpg average over the last 2,000 miles is showing at 39 mpg on the trip 'pooter, but I do quite a lot of long trips.

The HK sound system is excellent and to my ears worth the investment (I work in Sound for a living), but recently I had a C Class loan car and the standard spec audio is pretty good too, at least on FM radio (I was very pleasantly surprised).

I have the HK and Command and it plays ipod fully, as well as SD and USB. I also get album artwork off the SD card (haven't checked with the USB yet). Plus you can Bluetooth stream stereo audio from your (compatible) mobile phone. I have am HTC Sensation XE. Sadly you need to download a thing called BluDun if you want the MB apps to work (not got mine working yet though :( )

ps my previous car was an A4 3.0tdi quattro and the MB is noticeably quicker in most conditions, except where the 4x4 of the Audi could be used to advantage (usual situations like in the wet). But the MB not only rides better, but feels much more alive than the Audi (at least with the MB Sport button pressed). Altogether its a much more grown up car, if that makes sense. Having said that I am now looking for a cheap Fiat Panda Cross for the winter now :D

Last edited:
I have the 350cdi engine on an E class and high 30s/ low 40s mpg is realistic with fairly conservative driving on motorways. Around town around 30 is more realistic. Naturally you will get better figures on a C class but my impression is you really have to try if you want to drive economically as you immediately pay if you enjoy the terrific performance this engine is capable of.

Interesting, my pre 7g+ gets the same.

I get around 29-31 round town, I am averaging 34 over the last 2000 miles, and going from Norwich to Cavendish Square during the week it arrived showing just over 40mpg.

Thanks everyone for the really useful info (and amazingly quick replies)! It's definitely so much more useful to hear some real world experiences with these cars, rather than just what dealers and the motoring press want you to hear!

Having also read Geordie Amanda's recent review post (fantastic write up by the way), I'm thinking along the lines that the two 'must have' options on the car are full leather, and Comand, with others such as the HK audio and xenons, etc. being a bonus. Does this seem sensible? Time to find a good dealer (if such a thing exists) who has one I can drive! Does anyone have any recommendations as to decent dealers in the SE London/Kent/Essex area?

Also, if anyone has any other useful info from your experiences (dealers, good or bad pointers on the car, etc.) that would be really useful.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice - really appreciate it. :)

Just wanted to correct function of COMAND NTG4 as fitted to circa 2010 cars, you cannot stream music via BT and it uses Compact flash cards not SD, which is not great.

NTG4.5 does this but is only fitted to later cars (the face lift cars with fixed nav screens)

COMAND has a better sound output than Audio 20 even through the same speakers, but still not as good as HK system.

If economy is more important, it is worth trying the C250CDI....a different feel to the C350CDI but in C class format perhaps just as good (?!?!?)....you should get another 10mpg which is significant.

Good luck with your purchase, W204 are great cars.

Just wanted to correct function of COMAND NTG4 as fitted to circa 2010 cars, you cannot stream music via BT and it uses Compact flash cards not SD, which is not great.

NTG4.5 does this but is only fitted to later cars .

That's not really correct, you can do BT streaming if you've got a W204 with COMAND + Media Interface by buying the Media Interface Plus Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes iPod solutions :: Media Interface Plus it isn't cheap but enables it all the same.

Also the older NTG4 COMAND don't strictly use compact flash cards, just most of the PCMCIA adapters are for CF, you can get ones for SD cards to use those though I find that I have quicker read times from using a good CF card.

I guess I meant as standard a NTG4 cannot stream music via BT, and would imagine finding a used car that had that facility would be a tall order. COMAND + MEDIA KIT + BT STREAM UNIT

Apologies on the CF cards, I guess there are PCMCIA to SD card adapters that do work.
MB only supplied PCMCIA to CF adapters from memory, and that is what I have got. They also only advise 4GB maximum. Again I know people do use larger cards, but some have problems.

Doesn't the media interface also add USB?

I unplug my PCMCIA as if you are listening to a CD, when the CD finishes it will automatically switch to the next media which is the PCMCIA media if present....annoying, especially as sorting music on this is very limited.

Fact is NTG4.5 has SD slot, which is light years better than the PCMCIA interface.

I'm running an 8gb CF (sandisk xtreme udma thingy plus a £5 adapter, not the £50 odd ones MB sell) and it responds very quickly even with 95% of it full, I haven't tried using playlists on it yet.. reason I mention that, the Media Interface does add usb connectivity (provided the cables are all there and a previous owner hasn't kept all of them) recently I've found using a 16gb usb, adding media and creating playlists for them easier for the system to read and navigate through and not needing a memory card reader for the CF but the starting up read time for the usb is a bit longer which bugs me.

BT streaming is useful but displays sweet fa on the screen other than "audio transmission active" and you get a simple +/- for the tracks otherwise you still have to keep your device unlocked to control the music which is a bit risky if the fuzz catch you / pull you over, in all honesty the best solution is to have a cheap ipod/old iphone connected up.

Don't know if anyone else has any issues with BT on NTG4 / NTG4.5, when my iphone is plugged in as to play music back then receive a call by BT, the playback never resumes, have to disconnect and reconnect it which is a pita!!

I have had my C350CDI 2011 since new (12 months old now) and average 36MPG. Great car my only views not related to yours:

1) Don't bother with the Backer SatNav - not very good. I use my tomtom and never turn on the Becker.
2) Don't bother with the panoramic sunroof - get a normal one if you like them. You cannot open the rear portion anyway and its more expensive.
3) Get a DAB radio if you can afford it.

HTH

Maybe it depends where you live but I don't rate the DAB receiver in the car, it cuts out so often it just gets annoying.

I have had my C350CDI 2011 since new (12 months old now) and average 36MPG. Great car my only views not related to yours:

1) Don't bother with the Backer SatNav - not very good. I use my tomtom and never turn on the Becker.
2) Don't bother with the panoramic sunroof - get a normal one if you like them. You cannot open the rear portion anyway and its more expensive.
3) Get a DAB radio if you can afford it.

HTH
1) I don't know about the Becker SatNav, but the COMAND is much better than TomTom. Instructions are clearer and route changes dependent on traffic conditions first class.
2) Panoramic sunroof is great - really brightens up the car's interior, especially if you're going for black or other dark colour.
3) Don't bother with DAB unless you expect all your journeys to be in places where the reception is reliable.

Just goes to show that we all have differing opinions!

Hey just shows you how different we all are.....I am probably the biggest COMAND fan, so no Becker for me :) I really like the NTG4.5, much clearer than my NTG4....only funny thing is when it says the street names, sounds like a different person chipping in, lol

Last edited:
A few friends have DAB and I really like it. I didn't spec it and wished I had. Signal is fine around here (Peterborough area).
Don't get me wrong I like the panoramic sunroof but I don't think it's really worth the extra over a normal one.
I didn't try the COMAND system and just plumped for the Becker. It's very poor and continually crashes plus I find the TMC hardly ever works but I think that's a national problem not related to Becker. My Tomtom is flawless and with the traffic subscription it's very useful. Granted its not built in so doesn't look so good. Put the money you save not having the panoramic sunroof on the cost of the COMAND system :)

I believe the problem is TMC is broadcast on one frequency on the continent, whereas in the UK it is carried by regional (various freqencies) stations. There are TMC devices that only look for the Euro frequency, so can't channel hop.

Comand does channel hop :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone :), really appreciate all the advice and tips from those in the know! Infinitely more useful than my somewhat disappointing visit to a dealer last weekend.

The three 'must haves' for me above and beyond the standard spec I think are Comand, full leather and heated seats. I would love to have the HK audio and xenons too, however on the used market, cars with these options seem to be somewhat few and far between.

Also, just noticed that pre-facelift 350 CDi B/E's with the optional 18" AMG wheels slip over the threshold and into the next tax band at 180g/km rather than 174g/km - not that £20 extra makes the slightest bit of difference, but quite a farce nonetheless! Got to love the British government!

Re Mercedes c350

Hi! Are you still interested to buy a c350?
I'm currently selling mine! Willing to negotiate!
Please message me if you're interested and I'll call you!

Thanks!

Alex

QUOTE=adb1986;1537243]Hi all,

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)[/QUOTE]

1+2. around 35-39mpg from a pre facelift, and around 5mpg more from the facelift with the newer 7g + 'box.

3. It is better, but the stock system is not bad at all.

4. Not sure on films, always had so sure this has not been dropped.
All facelift cars come with the media interface, pre facelift it was an option.
This allows usb, ipod, aux etc. in.
Later cars with comandonline get audio streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom