W204 C63 Dipstick... Discontinued?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FuzzLy

Car
C63
So the head of my dipstick on my 204 C63 snapped off the other day, no big deal I thought.

Went down to the dealers today and I've been told that the part is discontinued 😲

They said to try and have a look online but I can't find anything... Surely there must be a solution. Seems odd that they continue to support these engines and much older ones but decide to stop making dipsticks!?

Has anyone had this issue and what can I do?

Bit like this , not your car , but you get the idea. Welcome along.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just buy one of the generic long ones on line and cut it to length.
Not really ideal as the top piece would have to be the perfect diameter to seal properly. I imagine universal ones may not have the correct measurements available to check before buying. I could be wrong, but I'd sooner buy one from a car in a breakers yard if I can't get hold of a brand new one. Seems odd they'd discontinue the item fully...

OK Fuzzly . you are looking for a C63 in a breakers yard ? good luck with that . Why are you looking for a 'perfect seal' ?? do you think oil is going to make its way up the tube ?

You are overthinking this . You drive a mass produced car with a mass produced dipstick.

So the head of my dipstick on my 204 C63 snapped off the other day, no big deal I thought.

Went down to the dealers today and I've been told that the part is discontinued 😲

They said to try and have a look online but I can't find anything... Surely there must be a solution. Seems odd that they continue to support these engines and much older ones but decide to stop making dipsticks!?

Has anyone had this issue and what can I do?

Do you have the MB part number for the dipstick?

(Also, ask another dealer, you may get a different reply....)

OK Fuzzly . you are looking for a C63 in a breakers yard ? good luck with that . Why are you looking for a 'perfect seal' ?? do you think oil is going to make its way up the tube ?

You are overthinking this . You drive a mass produced car with a mass produced dipstick.
No need to get your back up mate. Just because I wasn't a fan of your idea doesn't mean I don't appreciate your input. I'd prefer to do a proper job than a bodge job. The dipstick has a seal at the top for a reason, just like any other car.

Yes I drive a mass produced car with a mass produced dipstick (which is discontinued for some reason), I never implied otherwise so I don't see your point here. Since, as you say yourself, it's a mass produced car, why do you think I won't find one breaking? They get crashed all of the time. There's currently 4 listed on eBay for breaking.

Yeah the latest revision is 156 010 17 72. I also have the part numbers for the older revisions, not that they're any use. I was thinking of calling a different dealer tomorrow, but after looking around online it definitely seems like nobody can get hold of them unfortunately.

Fuzzly, I do not have my 'back up' about your broken dipstick , I simply welcomed you on board with (what I thought was) some practical advice. You ae more than welcome to ignore my advice and contact the 4 Ebay sellers asking them to send you a dipstick.

Best of luck :thumb:

Well I gave another Mercedes dealer a call and they told me they're not discontinued but on back order with no ETA. I've ordered one from them so we'll see what happens.

Googling it, it seems that there was an earlier model that tended to fly-off when crankcase pressure went up, which was discontinued and replaced with a newer model with a better seal, which is on backlog....

In fairness to Fuzzly, back in the day I drove a Mates Ford Orion with a dodgy dipstick. Oil light shone its face at me on the M6 to Manchester...opened the bonnet and...Covered in the black stuff!!
So...I can see why he would like an OEM replacement (I know, I know...Ford Orion vs C63 ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom