W204 C63 Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was looking at wagons pre-lockdown and prices where really good compared to what they are now around £22k - £23k for something decent and low mileage. I bought a C63 Wagon at the end of November 2021 with low miles for a little more thinking that if I don't do it now I never will. I've seen wagons being advertised with higher miles and lower spec than mine for about £3k - £4k, whether they are selling at those prices is another story, currently the highest priced one is with Kingdom at £34k, its a lovely spec car with an awesome background, but they are really taking the p**s with the price.

My advise would be, if you really want one, find one with a good background and spec and enjoy it :)

I really don’t fancy dealing with tire kickers and people who just want to drive a C63 but have no intention of buying
Tell me you aren't going to let random speculators drive your car when you come to sell it? Surely asking for trouble?! If it were me, they'd be getting a passenger ride and my good grace - nothing more.

Your wouldn't sell to me then....certainly not buying any car I haven't driven! Been looking at C63 and E63 models....all have been more than keen to let me drive.

Your wouldn't sell to me then....certainly not buying any car I haven't driven! Been looking at C63 and E63 models....all have been more than keen to let me drive.
Suits me - why would anyone run the risk of letting a complete stranger drive their car, particularly when the chances of the potential 'buyer' having any kind of insurance that would cover driving someone else's car are pretty low? The odds of getting a test pilot are too high for my liking. Besides, if someone wants it badly enough - they'd buy it off the strength of passenger spin (assuming everything else checked out).

Both completely different cars. You must know by now which one you want and start homing in on the condition or are you going to keep test driving both given the opportunity

Suits me - why would anyone run the risk of letting a complete stranger drive their car, particularly when the chances of the potential 'buyer' having any kind of insurance that would cover driving someone else's car are pretty low? The odds of getting a test pilot are too high for my liking. Besides, if someone wants it badly enough - they'd buy it off the strength of passenger spin (assuming everything else checked out).
Yep when I sold my XFR I made it clear that I was the one who would be driving. Can’t trust someone you don’t know with your 500bhp+ car…

Yep when I sold my XFR I made it clear that I was the one who would be driving. Can’t trust someone you don’t know with your 500bhp+ car…
It's also a good way to cut out the people who only want to test drive. In my experience it's amazing how many people you don't hear from again after you explain they won't be driving the car when they come to view!

Both completely different cars. You must know by now which one you want and start homing in on the condition or are you going to keep test driving both given the opportunity
Yep it will be E63 for me.......The C is great....but a bit too small for us. In an ideal world it would be sized somewhere between the two!!...

I'd be interested to see who has been brave enough to buy an E63 privately without test driving it!!.....to me that verges on stupidity in such a car.......its pretty easy to drive around any issues when demo-ing a car for someone else. Although the gent above is anti it I've found that most genuine sellers with nothing to hide are more than keen to let you drive them. However I'm a 55 year old greying bloke, rolling up in an enthusiast owned 159.....Id understand if I rocked up as a 25 year old, baseball cap backwards, driving a slammed Golf that they might not have been so keen!!!

Yep it will be E63 for me.......The C is great....but a bit too small for us. In an ideal world it would be sized somewhere between the two!!...

I'd be interested to see who has been brave enough to buy an E63 privately without test driving it!!.....to me that verges on stupidity in such a car.......its pretty easy to drive around any issues when demo-ing a car for someone else. Although the gent above is anti it I've found that most genuine sellers with nothing to hide are more than keen to let you drive them. However I'm a 55 year old greying bloke, rolling up in an enthusiast owned 159.....Id understand if I rocked up as a 25 year old, baseball cap backwards, driving a slammed Golf that they might not have been so keen!!!

I bought my current C63S without driving it. I tell a lie, I drove it out of a prep bay and into a yard (about 25 yards). Given I bought it during the height of the pandemic in July 2020, the garage were operating a 'click and collect' policy with no test drives - which admittedly I wasn't thrilled at, but understood. But, once I did my research on the car, went to see it, spoke to the guys who owned the garage and checked out their past reviews, I was happy they weren't going to stiff me. Personally I don't buy cars privately full stop - but understand completely why owners of high power stuff don't want to offer test drives.

Oh and appearance has nothing to do it, it doesn't matter if your 55 or 25, or if you're driving a gold plated Bentley or a rusty old Beetle - you still wouldn't be taking my car out for a test drive. As I said before, with no way of checking insurance status on said individual it is absolutely not worth the risk.

That's very different when you buy from a garage a you have some come back if you discover a major fault after delivery....you have none of that when you buy private. Since COVID lots buy from dealers with no test drive........and then you have all the Cazoo type places.....but you get 7 days to return it. Personally I would never use them either,.....I need to see and feel the drive of a car (from the drivers seat!) before I make my mind up.....the difference of how a good and bad one feels can be minute. Sure I could send it back.....but that's a major issue and one that potentially leaves you with no car, especially if you sold your old one to fund your new one. I wonder how many Cazoo type customers just choose to accept faults rather than have the hassle of retuning it!!??
I do fully appreciate the views you guys wont lets someone drive you pride and joy though......im always anxious when people drive my cars even when they are of low value!!

I've bought both my c63s without driving them myself and when I sold the w204 he never even asked to drive it knowing that the answer was NO unless full payment is in my hand etc.

I bought my E63 without driving, but from a dealer.

I let people drive some cars I sell, but never the high value, high power, modified cars as the chances of people having correct insurance is slim, and the risk of incident is high. I find it works both ways... sellers want to be sure buyers are genuine but buyers want the same! I find that conversations about the car you're selling are really helpful on both sides as you can easily tell a genuine enthusiast when you speak to them, due to their massive geekery about the car 😁

Last edited:
If my E63 is sold privately, I'll be the only one driving it during a test drive. Accept it or walk away.
Apart from the insurance angle, it only takes a short squeeze of the loud pedal to get up to silly speeds.
Who is to know how experienced the prospective owner is? I'm not risking a £25k++ car for the sake of a test drive in a strangers hands.

I can still remember being in the passenger seat of my previous E55 when the owner gave it the boot coming out of a corner.
I was used to quick cars having owned a mapped Cosworth in the past, but this was on a different level. The grip and the torque was something I'd not experienced before. Had I been driving and put my foot to the floor at that same point I don't think I'd have been ready for it.
Just saying.

I have placed a holding deposit on cars in the past, but never bought one without a test drive, even if the owner did the driving.

Also - on the question of insurance for buyers on a test drive, assuming for a moment they didn't have any and were trying to 'blag it' - aside from them being charged by the police if stopped on said test drive. I'm pretty sure you, as the owner can also be done for allowing an uninsured driver to use your car (knowingly or unknowingly).

Still covered under consumer law, no?
Nope.....not on a private sale......EXCEPT....if you made a certain claim about the car in the ad,,,,,like you claim it has PPP.....and you get home to find it hasnt. Other than that yiou are on your own, "Caveat Emptor"!

From a consumer help site.
Private purchase For private purchases the phrase 'buyer beware' applies. Unless the private seller untruthfully answers any questions you've got about the car, they're not under any legal obligation to declare the condition of the car to you when buying and you won't be able to claim for repairs.

I sold my e63 privately, I didn't let the buyer drive it until the money was in my account, then said he could do what he wants after that!

he was happy with that.

Most people who buy these types of car know what they are buying and don't expect a joy ride (test drive) so if you are looking for a e63 at trade price or glass prices and hoping to test drive it yourself good luck with your search I think you will have a long wait

Also - on the question of insurance for buyers on a test drive, assuming for a moment they didn't have any and were trying to 'blag it' - aside from them being charged by the police if stopped on said test drive. I'm pretty sure you, as the owner can also be done for allowing an uninsured driver to use your car (knowingly or unknowingly).
You are correct the owner can be done as well, also if the potential buyer does have special DOC insurance (very rare unless you specify you want it) this means third part only, so if the potential buyer bins it you will be paying the repair bills

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom