W204 C63 Purchase??just can’t

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Please ignore the above post......

Having just sat down with a cuppa, paper and pencil and a calculator I have just worked out that the cost of a C63 over the course of a month could in fact pay my mortgage!

The old ‘head in sand’ or ‘man maths’ has been applied up until now, and with a specific car in the frame it was time to crunch the numbers.

I just can’t get it to work for me and would hate to be in a position where I have bought the car to enjoy but can’t justify ever taking it out anywhere.

The original idea was to have C63 as a second car and run a cheapy back and forth to work etc. I then told myself the additional costs (buying, running, insuring, taxing) a second car maybe better just fuelling one.

Voila that’s how we arrived at Sydoo running a C63 as a daily! So as much I really want one, I just don’t think it’s going to happen just yet.

Thanks to everyone that has provided info/advice throughout this thread and to those of you that already own/run one - enjoy!

Cheers

Si

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

- 24 mile round trip
- 230 working days
- Annual commuting mileage = 5,520
- Shift work at odd times could mean better mpg
- I get 18-20mpg commuting 25 miles each way in rush hour (1/3 motorway,1/3 A road, 1/3 city)
- 5,520 / 18 = 306.6 gallons which is circa 1,400 litres
- £1.40/l for super comes out as £1,960

If you run an economical car returning 50mpg and only pay £1.30/l for fuel it reduces the fuel bill to £650. That's £110/month so you must have a really cheap/small mortgage...

Thing is, buy a nice facelift C63 for 20k and there is some hope that the depreciation has already bottomed out, or hasn't got much further to go.

That might not be the case, but compared to a normal model at 20k, at least there is the possibility which could more than offset the additional running costs, if you are doing moderate miles.

Man math,s my friend :)

If it helps...

E46 M3's are great cars. I've had 4 over the years. A bit old school technology now but a cheap 'performance car'
E92 M3 - yeah, had 2 of these as well. The V8 sounds well and quite a bit more space than the above
C63 - I have a f/l estate (over 2 years). Fitted the Milltek pre cat replacement which now sounds like Thor with a chesty cough (not good at 6am if you have nice neighbours). Space inside isn't the best (limited rear legroom) but, overall it's a nice motor

Running costs:
Tyres - rears are approx 5000 miles
Fronts - 1 set to every 2 rears

Insurance:
Cheap. I have the 63 and a GTR for less than £600

Road rent:
who cares, it needs paying

Fuel:
Average 200 miles between fill ups on daily commuting (320 miles on a run). Unsure what that equats to (probably 15mpg?)
That's £82 per tank with V Power

Service Costs:
A good independant - £500 (average)
Main dealer - add £200

If you average out a 'mainstream' car then the above does seem more pricey than the norm...mainly with fuel. If it's an occassional car then I wouldn't be bothered.

Tick that box and see for yourself. If it's not for you, move it on and lose a bit of money. We're not here for a long time...but definitely for a good time.

Good luck...

- 24 mile round trip
- 230 working days
- I get 18-20mpg commuting 25 miles each way in rush hour (1/3 motorway,1/3 A road, 1/3 city)

If you run an economical car returning 50mpg and only pay £1.30/l for fuel it reduces the fuel bill to £650. That's £110/month so you must have a really cheap/small mortgage...
Add the VED, insurance, MOT, consumables, servicing and any repairs and the cost of a second car increases over just fuel.

- 24 mile round trip
- 230 working days

What about insurance, road tax, tyres, serving/maintenance and depreciation. All those items should be taken into account.

It wouldn't be a second car in my example.

The C63 doesn't cost that much more than a regular car to run compared to everything else, maybe £100pm tops extra.

If things really are that right then a C63 is not for you but I find it surprisingly affordable to run full time.

Life is far too dull already to worry about depreciation and the C63 is relatively cheap right now anyway.

I still think if the OP doesn't have money to fritter away and wants to estimate the running costs of a C63 then everything should be taken into account.

To be fair, then it may not be the right car for OP. My suggestion would be something like this sort of car (link below) if not too small in the 8 - 9k price bracket. BMW M3 E46. Perhaps not this exact example (i wanted to check it out but it is too far away for me), but insurance (dirt cheap. I insured mine for gbp420, okay maybe the insurer has a crap reputation, ie hastings, but comp insurance with breakdown cover, all the legal cover for a car like this...). It is almost as great as a W204 63 (though no V8, but better handling) and is less than half the price. They are cheap to service and will be slightly better on gas. A pre purchase inspection from an independent party is highly recommended and full service history to ensure no costly maintenance is required eg on the subframe etc. In town is around 18mpg and is much better on the motorway. It has kept my 63s in the driveway for most of the time since i got it (i still love the 63 more but it is a car that cost me 8x as much!). And as a convertible has that extra level of joy bringing in the summer that a coupe simply cant match...

Saved Adverts

I was a little surprised at the values of E46 M3s when I looked. They've appreciated significantly. I'd need a few thousand pounds on top of what I sold mine for five years ago to buy it back, with more mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom