W204 C63 Remap - would it exacerbate any potential cam adjuster faults?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R77C

Car
C63
You're probably reading the post title thinking "what on earth is this guy saying". Bear with me, here...!

So per this thread of mine my car exhibits cam adjuster rattle on a warm restart only, despite having all 4 replaced (as well as the timing chain and adjuster).

There's also a thread on the US forums where some very clever chap looked into the metallurgy of the adjusters, the plates and the pins and determined that it's sub par manufacturing/the difference in the metals that causes the noise/fault.

Long story short, I am stuck with my 4 brand new adjusters unless I buy hardened/updated ones from the US.

My question here (because I am not technically savvy), is will a remap cause any more "wear" on the cam adjusters than the stock map? Or do they just continue doing their job/wear at a normal rate regardless of whether the car has more torque and power? Thank you!

You have 4 brand new adjusters done and even timing chain.
As long as the car runs well, I would just accept that this is the characteristic of YOUR car. No point chasing anymore faults.
The M156 is rather awkward in that it is noisy and wears differently engine to engine. I also have had mine done, using harden plates from 63 Motorsports from the US.
I could almost believe that mine is still rattling after it was done, however, its been back to PCS and we have had multiple stop starts and even when i am convinced its the sound, PCS have told me that i am just hearing things.
There are also a few threads on MB World forum where a few owners also have had a lengthy time chasing this rattle and finally settle on accepting it as part and parcel of the car.

If you have had just the plates changed, then it would have been the whole adjuster unit. However, you had the whole adjuster unit replaced by MB, so its safe to say its part and parcel of the car itself.

Apologies, forgot to answer your question, re: remap, it doesn't cause more wear on the cam adjusters plate.

Oh, completely agree Sirius - that's my mindset about it all now.

Appreciate your reply RE the remap, many thanks.

It’s difficult to say whether it will cause increased wear or not, and even retrospectively it will be difficult to know for sure because they wear even in standard tune. Do whatever makes you happiest, or worry least 👍🏻

Remap won't hurt them unless you are chasing a higher rpm limit - in which case the increased acceleration rates at the valves could create additional stresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom