W204 C63 - Secondary Cat Delete or Remap first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irfan1712

Car
w213 AMG E63s
I've had my 2014 C63 for just over a year now, and i still love it. Bought it with 11k on and now its just touched 24k.

as with my previous cars after a while i like to 'do something' to them to just freshen things up. In my case and with most C63s it looks fantastic as it is and i dont really need to change anything appearance wise, except perhaps blacking a lot of the chrome out.

im considering a Eurocharged (V7) remap from the likes of MSL. I hear time and time again that the remap opens up all 500ish ponies and is leaps and bounds 'more' AMG than present. But the other thing im tempted to do is a secondary cat delete to open up some noise.

my fear of the cat delete is that if i take them off and i dont like the sound then its not really a straightforward case of putting them back in.. or is it? The most off putting thing that puts me off a cat delete is if any drone gets into the cabin - those who have done the cat delete, is this the case?

which should be first?

Take it from someone that did all of this last week, you will NOT regret it.
Get the secondaries straight piped first so it can be mapped in, otherwise you will have to pay to tweak the map.
Even my wife messaged me to say the car sounded better lol.

Sounds awesome with the secondarys removed, do it! And its still mot passable for emissions anyway

I was considering removing the secondary cats on my 507 for a bit more noise, but I would want to know I could returrn it back to standard at re-sale time.... is there a way to do so?

Secondary Cats can be welded back in or You can Buy a used set of OEM cats and pipes and swap them over when the time comes to sell.
Im sure a have a few sets if anyone is interested but lots of people remove the 2nd cats for better noise and love it.

Acid

Secondary Cats can be welded back in or You can Buy a used set of OEM cats and pipes and swap them over when the time comes to sell.
Im sure a have a few sets if anyone is interested but lots of people remove the 2nd cats for better noise and love it.

Acid

I did enquire with someone local to me (Prospeed Cardiff) who mentioned they could remove the secondary cats, replace with straight pipes and fit a flange and bolt system on it so i can basically bolt on and off the new straight pipe or bolt the cats back in should i not like them, or for MOT time, or for selling etc etc. is this something you also offer Acid?

also, deleting the secondary cats and replacing with X, H or straight pipes... i know its personal preference but whats generally preferred? i think i'd like the resonator to stay where it is so there is no drone and it doesn't get too raspy/tinny which im not a fan of.

no drone or rasp with removing resonator. i had both reso delete and secondary cat delete and eurocharged map on the c63. go for it is all am saying!

Acid

I spent the morning at MSL / Torque Flow today having the secondary cats removed. The car sounds almost standard at idle and pottering around but it does make me smile even more when i give it some welly now, it sounds brilliant.

Fantastic service by your staff, Imran was a very pleasant guy to deal with - amazing workshop and all in well worth the Drive from South Wales. When the novelty of the cat delete wears off (if at all) i will certainly return for a map.

(I hear you were living it up in Vegas over the last week - hope you enjoyed!)

Irfan

I had the Milltek cat replacement pipes fitted a few weeks back. More 'bark' on start up, no drone on motorway or real difference when pottering below 2k rpm (if anyone here does that?)
It's a mod I pondered over and read a lot on the internet (and these forums). Glad I did it. I kept the CATS incase the next owner (!) wanted to refit them. I believe an insert can be purchased from Mercedes to reinstall otherwise, a nice circular weld (x2) will be required.
Fitting of these is a doddle. Measure the pipe, grind them off, fit with clamps.
Start up and enjoy.
Oh...and be on good terms with the neighbours if they have young kids that like a lie-in before you set off for work.

Have you done the remap or the decat yet ?

I'm looking to get the same done to mine , apparently MSL offer discount if you book in pairs ???

Secondaries not needed for mots
Primary's are I believe 700 cell
I have 200 sports cells and lth and passed emissions
Removing them before or after the map will make no real difference as said above the main restriction is the primary's
My car made 444whp with lth and sports cats only (PPP car)
And 464whp when mapped with the headers v5 map so I gained 20 whp with the map

Secondaries not needed for mots
Primary's are I believe 700 cell
I have 200 sports cells and lth and passed emissions
Removing them before or after the map will make no real difference as said above the main restriction is the primary's
My car made 444whp with lth and sports cats only (PPP car)
And 464whp when mapped with the headers v5 map so I gained 20 whp with the map

Was the dyno run straight after your car was mapped? I found at least with eurocharged maps you only got a small gain after mapping but after you had driven a couple hundred miles the gains become significantly better. Merc have some seriously clever ecu installed

Was the dyno run straight after your car was mapped? I found at least with eurocharged maps you only got a small gain after mapping but after you had driven a couple hundred miles the gains become significantly better. Merc have some seriously clever ecu installed

Yes headers installed
Dyno run a few times as the figures were high (ppp car)
Quick drive round the block
Map and dyno again

Is this a worthwhile mod for the W205? I don't think you can enough of that V8 roar (even the baby one!!)

Remove the secondary cats, its easy, cheap and sounds superb, not too loud and NO rasp, Get them gutted, not removed,

My last C63 with the secondary cats gutted.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am keen on the idea of cat removal but at the moment I leave home just after 6am and I don't want to upset the neighbours.
I think that the first mod I need to do is a lsd so that I can get the power I have onto the road.
I am trying to sell the idea to the wife by claiming that it will be safer in the wet.

Wise move the LSD, Follow up with Wider wheels and MPSS or MPS4 tyres, The improvement in grip is Amazing!
I would go for the wheels and tyres first if i were you.

These were very good.

I would recommend if its your daily to get 2 diff bearings (they are different widths, so different part numbers) prior to getting the diff done as they need to be pulled off with a puller and heated and dropped onto the new diff and can be easily damaged doing this. Mercedes dont sell the bearings seperately but the same make of bearings can be got from ebay, i dont know the part numbers sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom