W204 centre caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This seems to be a common issue with the post-2009 blue laurel wreath caps, but less so with the older plain silver ones.

I think the blame lies with both the caps' lacquer finish and the detergents used in car wash places.

MB would say the wheel cleaning detergents are too strong, but then again other marques do not seem to be affected in the same way...

I suppose the proper way of describing it would be that the new caps are not as resistant to strong wheel cleaners as they could be and should be, so require to be cleaned with a milder solution.

This is the same issue incidentally that MB traditionally had with the rusting wheel bolts... MB blamed acidic wheel cleaners, which is probably true, but again only MB cars seem to be vulnerable to this issue, so clearly they could have used more resistant bolts, but for reasons known only to themselves, they chose not to do so (and preferred to replace the rusting bolts FOC under warranty for the first 3 years instead) .
...mine are circa late 2010.. pretty good quality unmarked but a small bit of corrosion.. must say I fancy the AMG centres for my AMG wheels...prev pic posted of them look very nice :thumb:...foxy52

Here is one of my eBay centre caps after 3 years on the car. The other 3 are the same and are in better condition than the wheels:doh:
GCxikg0.jpg
[/IMG]
Ill get a set of these ones for my AMG wheels.. very nice .. foxy52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom