[W204] Cleaning Residue from debadging

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Maurauth, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Maurauth

Maurauth Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2016 BMW M4 Convertible
    I've always debadged the model numbers on the back of my cars with no issues, however when I took the Blueefficiency badges off the wings it left a lot of sticky residue that won't budge with the good old fingernails + hot water.

I was wondering if you detailing experts could recommend the best product to clear the residue without damaging the paintwork? Cheers!

2. J4miejenks

J4miejenks Member

Car:
    C200
    Did mine yday, I find neat screen wash work a treat.

At worst I'd hit it with AG tar spot remover and clay bar with quick detailer and towel dry.

Like I say screen wash work a treat ;)

3. MDC250

MDC250 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Autosmart Tardis.

It's only generally available in 5 litres so overkill for your use.

If you are local to me (PR9) you are welcome to some.

4. stereophoney

stereophoney Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK32, Clio Diesel
  5. OP
    OP
    Maurauth

Car:
    2016 BMW M4 Convertible
    Thanks a lot guys!

I'll start with screen wash as I've got plenty and then go to Tar Remover and all else fails the Tardis stuff!

6. martyp87

martyp87 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jag X-Type AWD
    Never heard of using screen wash before, genius.

If that does fail, you won't go wrong with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover, works a treat for glue residue.

Either way, just give it a quick coat of wax afterwards as either product will strip off any protection. :thumb:

7. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Sport
    WD40 also works a treat :thumb:

8. terry@yarmouth

terry@yarmouth Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280 cdi elegance 7g
    warm it up with a hairdryer, then wd40 and your fingernails works perfect. dont forget the polish and wax after.:thumb:

9. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    A strong adhesive tape will usually lift any residue off cleanly, particularly if you warm it with a hairdryer first.

10. Chr1s

Chr1s Active Member

Car:
    E63 AMG
    Heat up with a hair dryer. Will become nice and soft and can then easily remove. Bit of T-cut will help as well to remove the final residue.

11. Leabrooks

Leabrooks Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 270 CDI
    Why debadge? Any petrolhead will just look at the exhaust tips,wheels etc and think you're a complete prat for debadging and slightly ashamed of your car?

12. knighterrant

knighterrant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 Facelift C350 Sport Saloon with M276 petrol engine
    That's what I've always thought about debadging. I wonder if the debadging brigade are equally ashamed of their wives/girlfriends and put paper bags over their heads when they go out!

When I placed the order for my car the salesman asked whether I wanted it debadged. "No way", I said, "That's the car I've chosen and I'll be proud to let everyone know". (The fact that most people don't have a clue what "C350" means is totally irrelevant!)

13. J4miejenks

J4miejenks Member

Car:
    C200
    Do you know what I find embarrassing when people post and it's not even relevant to the initial question asked ;)

It's his car guys, so leaving him do what he wants, I de-badged mine as personally I prefer the less cluttered look, and I have no issues with the way my misses looks or what car I drive :)

1 person likes this.
  14. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    I'm a petrolhead and I won't think that :dk:

1 person likes this.
  15. Leabrooks

Car:
    CLK 270 CDI
    if it said V8 , V12, BRABUS or M3, M5, Alpina etc would you take the badges off? :doh: Surprisingly all the Astons, Ferrari's, Porsches, old E Types and Mercs around here (let alone the Triumphs and MG;s) in gods country aren't debadged..Derbyshire is brill!

16. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    Some are about showing off and some prefer an understated clean look.

One doesn't have to be better than the other. Isn't difference of opinion great?!

17. Leabrooks

Car:
    CLK 270 CDI
    Yes I suppose you're right..so are you going to take the MB stars off the car and put Toyota ones on or just leave it bare?

18. MDC250

MDC250 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Not a Toyota per se but if the badges read LFA, I'd have them anywhere on the car :)

I personally like that some cars are really something else lurking beneath a stock outward appearance, more so that unless you know what you are looking for it could pass by un-noticed.

19. OP
    OP
    Maurauth

Car:
    2016 BMW M4 Convertible
    No need to be a *****, I was just asking for advice on how to clean the residue.

I've always debadged my cars as I dislike the chrome that they put all over the boot and sides of cars. I debadged all my old MX-5s which were top spec, top engine.

Removing the badges is just first step before I remove the chrome trim and have it wrapped in black to smooth out the look.

It's not like you can hide the sound of a turbo-diesel anyway, and the only reason it's not an AMG is the insurance at my age, once I can afford an AMG's insurance premiums I will remove all badges other than the AMG one.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  20. OP
    OP
    Maurauth

Car:
    2016 BMW M4 Convertible
    Back on topic:

I tried the screenwash and I think the stuff was a bit cheap and didn't quite do the job, although I needed to top up the car anyway, so was worth buying haha.

I used the AG Intensive Tar Remover and it worked wonders, followed that up with a a good bit of T-Cut and it looks great. (Other than the small scratch I made when I originally tried to get the residue off with a brush I normally reserve for wheels.)