[W204] Cleaning Residue from debadging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maurauth

Car
2016 BMW M4 Convertible
I've always debadged the model numbers on the back of my cars with no issues, however when I took the Blueefficiency badges off the wings it left a lot of sticky residue that won't budge with the good old fingernails + hot water.

I was wondering if you detailing experts could recommend the best product to clear the residue without damaging the paintwork? Cheers!

Did mine yday, I find neat screen wash work a treat.

At worst I'd hit it with AG tar spot remover and clay bar with quick detailer and towel dry.

Like I say screen wash work a treat ;)

Autosmart Tardis.

It's only generally available in 5 litres so overkill for your use.

If you are local to me (PR9) you are welcome to some.

Thanks a lot guys!

I'll start with screen wash as I've got plenty and then go to Tar Remover and all else fails the Tardis stuff!

Never heard of using screen wash before, genius.

If that does fail, you won't go wrong with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover, works a treat for glue residue.

Either way, just give it a quick coat of wax afterwards as either product will strip off any protection. :thumb:

warm it up with a hairdryer, then wd40 and your fingernails works perfect. dont forget the polish and wax after.:thumb:

A strong adhesive tape will usually lift any residue off cleanly, particularly if you warm it with a hairdryer first.

Heat up with a hair dryer. Will become nice and soft and can then easily remove. Bit of T-cut will help as well to remove the final residue.

Why debadge? Any petrolhead will just look at the exhaust tips,wheels etc and think you're a complete prat for debadging and slightly ashamed of your car?

Why debadge? Any petrolhead will just look at the exhaust tips,wheels etc and think you're a complete prat for debadging and slightly ashamed of your car?
That's what I've always thought about debadging. I wonder if the debadging brigade are equally ashamed of their wives/girlfriends and put paper bags over their heads when they go out!

When I placed the order for my car the salesman asked whether I wanted it debadged. "No way", I said, "That's the car I've chosen and I'll be proud to let everyone know". (The fact that most people don't have a clue what "C350" means is totally irrelevant!)

Do you know what I find embarrassing when people post and it's not even relevant to the initial question asked ;)

It's his car guys, so leaving him do what he wants, I de-badged mine as personally I prefer the less cluttered look, and I have no issues with the way my misses looks or what car I drive :)

I'm a petrolhead and I won't think that :dk:

if it said V8 , V12, BRABUS or M3, M5, Alpina etc would you take the badges off? :doh: Surprisingly all the Astons, Ferrari's, Porsches, old E Types and Mercs around here (let alone the Triumphs and MG;s) in gods country aren't debadged..Derbyshire is brill!

Some are about showing off and some prefer an understated clean look.

One doesn't have to be better than the other. Isn't difference of opinion great?!

Yes I suppose you're right..so are you going to take the MB stars off the car and put Toyota ones on or just leave it bare?

Not a Toyota per se but if the badges read LFA, I'd have them anywhere on the car :)

I personally like that some cars are really something else lurking beneath a stock outward appearance, more so that unless you know what you are looking for it could pass by un-noticed.

No need to be a *****, I was just asking for advice on how to clean the residue.

I've always debadged my cars as I dislike the chrome that they put all over the boot and sides of cars. I debadged all my old MX-5s which were top spec, top engine.

Removing the badges is just first step before I remove the chrome trim and have it wrapped in black to smooth out the look.

It's not like you can hide the sound of a turbo-diesel anyway, and the only reason it's not an AMG is the insurance at my age, once I can afford an AMG's insurance premiums I will remove all badges other than the AMG one.

Last edited:
Back on topic:

I tried the screenwash and I think the stuff was a bit cheap and didn't quite do the job, although I needed to top up the car anyway, so was worth buying haha.

I used the AG Intensive Tar Remover and it worked wonders, followed that up with a a good bit of T-Cut and it looks great. (Other than the small scratch I made when I originally tried to get the residue off with a brush I normally reserve for wheels.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom