W204 COMAND screen issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kam05

Car
C220CDI Sport (COMAND) W204
Bit of an odd one..

I have a 57-reg C220CDI Sport with the flip up/down COMAND screen. Leaving work last night the COMAND screen opened up but it wouldn't get past the MB logo - it didn't even get to the warning prompt. I could use the CD/radio functions but not the sat nav or phone directory.

Pulled into MB Leeds on the way home to get the issue looked at (got quoted £100 diagnostic fee, £1k for new screen and 2.5 hrs labour should it require a new screen, so potiental bill of £1.3k!). Made the booking and came back to the car and the COMAND screen had folded in. Started the car, COMAND screen flips out - can use all functions as normal no issues.

Can anyone explain what happened here? Loose cable? COMAND screen on its way out? Car is 9 years old now so I don't want to be forking out £1.3k on a new COMAND screen.

Wanting a few more years of use out of the car before selling...

I bet comandonline could do the screen a lot cheaper.

TBH sometimes electrical things glitch, and they just need turning on and off again.

The problem was almost definitely not the screen (which is about 1k new), but an issue with the stereo itself.

COMAND does not like low battery voltage. I suspect it is worth checking the car's main battery. The cold weather will make old batteries behave badly

Cheers

Richard

Hadn't thought about the battery, it's still on the genuine battery. Thanks for the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom