W204 Comand screen not coming out of dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kit17

Car
W205 C63
W204 Comand screen not popping up out of dash

Hi I have an intermittent problem with my comand Screen, I've had this issue ever since I brought my 2009 C320 cdi 18 months ago. When I turn the ignition on, sometimes the screen won't pop up out of dash, the actual comand system comes on but with limited useability (the same as if you've closed it manually ) so only the controls on the front of the system work but not the wheel.

This used to happen very sporadically say once every 100 times but it would it also go a couple of months with out doing it at all. In the past you could always get the screen to come out by pressing the button on the front of the hatch. I bought the car from a Merc dealer and I took it back a couple of times for them to look at, however they could never replicate the problem so could never find anything wrong with it
It hadn't done it for a couple of months now and I had kind of forgotten about it until last Monday when it happened again but this time the problem has moved on, as it wouldn't let me open up the hatch via the button. I tried turning it off locking the car up and re-starting but still no joy. When I came back to the car after work it was fine again. I used the car all week without any problems untill today when it wouldn't open up again, same as before with only the buttons on the front of system working and but not letting me open it up manually. I came back to the car a few hours later and all is fine again:dk:

My car is now out of warranty, so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, or had experienced the same or similar problem.

Last edited:
Hi I have an intermittent problem with my comand Screen, I've had this issue ever since I brought my 2009 C320 cdi 18 months ago. When I turn the ignition on, sometimes the screen won't pop up out of dash, the actual comand system comes on but with limited useability (the same as if you've closed it manually ) so only the controls on the front of the system work but not the wheel.

This used to happen very sporadically say once every 100 times but it would it also go a couple of months with out doing it at all. In the past you could always get the screen to come out by pressing the button on the front of the hatch. I bought the car from a Merc dealer and I took it back a couple of times for them to look at, however they could never replicate the problem so could never find anything wrong with it
It hadn't done it for a couple of months now and I had kind of forgotten about it until last Monday when it happened again but this time the problem has moved on, as it wouldn't let me open up the hatch via the button. I tried turning it off locking the car up and re-starting but still no joy. When I came back to the car after work it was fine again. I used the car all week without any problems untill today when it wouldn't open up again, same as before with only the buttons on the front of system working and but not letting me open it up manually. I came back to the car a few hours later and all is fine again:dk:

My car is now out of warranty, so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, or had experienced the same or similar problem.

Maybe the Wire connection on the back of the monitor is loose, did u check it?

Comand.co.uk in Lightwater, Surrey could take a look to find the problem.

Comand.co.uk in Lightwater, Surrey could take a look to find the problem.

I'm in Norfolk so not that close but could well be a option if it starts doing it more often. Thanks

ok will have a look. thanks for the suggestion

You should give it a try as I had the same issue but with my front turning light which worked temperamental but once i opened the bonnet and check, i found out that it wasnt turned in properly :wallbash:

You should give it a try as I had the same issue but with my front turning light which worked temperamental but once i opened the bonnet and check, i found out that it wasnt turned in properly :wallbash:

Put my hand behind the command screen and couldn't feel any wires, It hasn't played up since my first post and I must of used the car on 40-50 different occasions.

I was wondering whether the problem could be ignition switch based, as i'm sure when it wasn't opening, the first click on the ignition didn't have as much resistance as it normally has:dk:

Hopefully the problem has cured itself for now.... wishful thinking probably:rolleyes:

Hi Lads
Sorry to revive an old thread..same issue here.
Mine was a conversion. Audio 20 to COMAND NTG4 and he flippy screen.
Was fine for the first few days and then all of a sudden..random not opening, not opening fully, random blank screen with an immediate flip down or on shutdown, sometimes shuts properly, sometimes the cover stays a bit to half open...
The audio works through with no issues.
I've checked the wires (spliced) but they seem fine.
Really am at my wits end..

Hi Lads
Sorry to revive an old thread..same issue here.
Mine was a conversion. Audio 20 to COMAND NTG4 and he flippy screen.
Was fine for the first few days and then all of a sudden..random not opening, not opening fully, random blank screen with an immediate flip down or on shutdown, sometimes shuts properly, sometimes the cover stays a bit to half open...
The audio works through with no issues.
I've checked the wires (spliced) but they seem fine.
Really am at my wits end..

Ive seen many problems like this and its usually down to the Comand unit not being coded properly.

You really shouldnt have spliced any wires at all :( there is a proper retrofit kit that provides all the looms and cables etc.. you did fit the fans and ducting didnt you???????

Hi
I did buy the retrofit kit in its entirety.
I started with opening up the car, but just could not get the ducting to fit no matter how i manipulated it, also managed to crack the cluster surround..so I made a few holes on the underside of the AC vents to direct air onto the HU. The first time the screen started acting up, I did take all the stuff out to check, and the HU was only just a wee bit warm..after 1.5 hours of it being on.

I spliced the wires exactly as the all the others have done, and as I said, it worked fine for a week or so, and then this started. Today, it didn't pop up at all. I knocked the cover and it opened!

Would the retrofit harness solve this issue?

Also, you mention coding? Why would this be required please? I don't use the Navi portion as there are no maps for my region available, so don't mind if the navi guidance doesn't come up on the MFD. All the other functions work perfectly..Audio, Radio, etc.

Hi
I did buy the retrofit kit in its entirety.
I started with opening up the car, but just could not get the ducting to fit no matter how i manipulated it, also managed to crack the cluster surround..so I made a few holes on the underside of the AC vents to direct air onto the HU. The first time the screen started acting up, I did take all the stuff out to check, and the HU was only just a wee bit warm..after 1.5 hours of it being on.

I spliced the wires exactly as the all the others have done, and as I said, it worked fine for a week or so, and then this started. Today, it didn't pop up at all. I knocked the cover and it opened!

Would the retrofit harness solve this issue?

Also, you mention coding? Why would this be required please? I don't use the Navi portion as there are no maps for my region available, so don't mind if the navi guidance doesn't come up on the MFD. All the other functions work perfectly..Audio, Radio, etc.

No splicing is required if you use the full kit as the looms come with the kit. where did you get the kit from?

The fan and ducting is installed by removing the steering wheel and the trim below it.

Without seeing whats been cut/spliced etc its impossible to comment on whats failing. I know with the full proper kit, installed and then the unit coded it works.

You will need coding because if the MOST ring is incorrectly coded it causes strange things to happen like the unit coming on/off when the door is open for instance.

With any job like this, it always best to do it properly.

Hi
From you guys...Mark.
I had the HK system already..so in the engineering menu, my only MOST option is on or off and internal/external amp.
It would need to be external because of the HK amp..also no sound if I turn it off.
Thank God, I have not noticed the door issue...yet.

Hi
From you guys...Mark.
I had the HK system already..so in the engineering menu, my only MOST option is on or off and internal/external amp.
It would need to be external because of the HK amp..also no sound if I turn it off.
Thank God, I have not noticed the door issue...yet.

Our kits do not require any cutting or splicing. the wiring looks like a mess to be honest.

The engineering menu will allow other devices to be configured on the MOST bus. But, SCN coding does a lot more than just sort out the MOST bus.

You really should get the car properly coded.

Have opened the whole thing out again, replaced all the wiring and the grill now with your loom (Mark sent me the instructions as to what goes where), but the screen flipping in and out is just not stopping...

Opens with the logo-shuts down, opens blank-shuts down, doesn't open at all. Sometimes cover closes halfway, sometimes fully..

After doing this a few times, the "Warning, don't let COMAND distract you...etc etc.." comes up and then all is well.

It opens and shuts very smoothly and silently, so I dismissed anything getting stuck in the mechanism.

But this is happening at least 20 times a day! The Audio works perfectly through all this (of course, until you press the On/Off knob to switch it off) and displays on the MFD.

When you mean coded..could you explain please? Nobody else seems to have done this..my dealer will not do it at all. There is an independent chap, but he went like, "huh?"

I'm getting desperate now...even the reverse camera is not coming on..as in no "check your surroundings", or screen mode change or anything..
Have checked all the settings in the Engineering Menu too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom