W204 command hard drive failing????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
Bit strange but was listening to the music on my music register and all was well. Stopped car and done what I had to do and then get back into car and display come up with ' no music files' !!!:eek: Looked at the music register and nothing listed checked for space and said 6.0Gb free ( of the 6Gb) so copied a file over approx 100Mb then rechecked the space and said 4.7Gb used of 6Gb but only shows the files I had just copied. Also found the time 1hour out and was ok when I turned it off before so is it just a blimp and have to reformat the H/D and if so what's the best way??

Thanks

Paul

Bit strange but was listening to the music on my music register and all was well. Stopped car and done what I had to do and then get back into car and display come up with ' no music files' !!!:eek: Looked at the music register and nothing listed checked for space and said 6.0Gb free ( of the 6Gb) so copied a file over approx 100Mb then rechecked the space and said 4.7Gb used of 6Gb but only shows the files I had just copied. Also found the time 1hour out and was ok when I turned it off before so is it just a blimp and have to reformat the H/D and if so what's the best way??

Thanks

Paul

You cant reformat the drive im afraid. It is split up into a number of different partitions. One partition being used for music files, another for the gracenote database, another for navigation etc. It sounds like the comand reset itself somehow as your time zone seems to have changed aswell.

Replacement drives can be obtained and installed. The good thing here is that you often get the latest maps with it ;)

Thanks Alfie but I done a factory reset and now if I put 100Mb on it it shows as 5.9Gb free so going to load it up again and see what happens. Do you sell the replacement h/d's???? If not where can they be obtained from

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Alfie but I done a factory reset and now if I put 100Mb on it it shows as 5.9Gb free so going to load it up again and see what happens. Do you sell the replacement h/d's???? If not where can they be obtained from

Thanks

Paul

If you email me your VIN i'll price up a replacement disk for you.

Email sent

Sorry to restart the thread but have another problem with the command. Went to work and whilst I sat there was listening to some music from the memory. Turn it off after awhile and went into work. Come out this morning and started car etc but no sound from the command, pressed the next track and it come up but the music wasn't playing turned the command off and then on now when I got to the audio tab I have radio and Aux in yellow but DVD, music register and memory card are all greyed out. if I go across to the video tab it don't do nothing it doesn't even come up saying no disc in drive. SO looking at the previous post do you think my HDD is shot??? I did go in to the engineering list and do a HDD test read and wright and let I go up to 300 and was ok didn't get any errors???

Thanks again

Paul

Is it difficult to remove the hard drive, and then clone the hard drive? Just a thought.

Is it difficult to remove the hard drive, and then clone the hard drive? Just a thought.

Not a bad idea but the time you take it out then you know your not gonna do an image of it easy so the head unit will be out the car for a couple of days rather than just take out one out and plug new one in. Think i know what happend :- I tried to update my maps but there was a problem reading the disc so when i removed the disc it may of currupt the HDD as when i went accross to the NAVI tab it just said insert disc 1. So today i put in my old map (v10) and that went in ok and have all my options back :thumb:

Last edited:

Apparently, yes... according to Richard and Alfie these are special automotive drives which are shock-proof, and when purchased from MB as spare part come with the partitions and software already installed.

Sorry to be naive, is the drive not just a 2.5 inch computer hard drive, and can't the drive be fully cloned, replicating all the data and partitions, I have cloned computer operating system hard drives, and I thought it would just be the same.

Sorry missed the special automotive part before I posted, my bad.

Not a bad idea but the time you take it out then you know your not gonna do an image of it easy so the head unit will be out the car for a couple of days rather than just take out one out and plug new one in. Think i know what happend :- I tried to update my maps but there was a problem reading the disc so when i removed the disc it may of currupt the HDD as when i went accross to the NAVI tab it just said insert disc 1. So today i put in my old map (v10) and that went in ok and have all my options back :thumb:

Where did you get the update disks from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom