W204 Coupe C180 petrol tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shoux

Car
Mercedes C180 Coupe 2012
Hi all,

I have a 2012 1.8l petrol W204 coupe and it's been remapped to put out 210hp. Is there any way to further increase the power with some new parts. V6 engine swap is not an option for now as it will massively increase my registration and insurance cost.

Thanks!

It's very difficult to extract more power from the M271 engine, unfortunately the remappers' power claims are rarely confirmed on the dyno. Achieving a power increase from 156bhp to 210 bhp by a remap isn't very likely. Though obviously a good remap will certainly make the engine feel more responsive.

You could look for either a swap to C250 CGI (or an engine from one).

If you want to continue with modifying the engine you have now, you'll need to consider hardware upgrades (turbo, intercooler, ported head, free flow exhaust manifold, etc etc).

And don't forget to keep an eye on the timing chain - on these models the hydraulic tensioner tends to leak.

Last edited:
Most remaps advertised for these engines apparently give between around 20-30bhp increases; 210bhp without mechanical upgrades seems outstanding.

Most remaps advertised for these engines apparently give between around 20-30bhp increases; 210bhp without mechanical upgrades seems outstanding.
Seemed crazy to me too, but the guy I bought the car from actually showed me the videos of the dyno tests. Plus it really goes like a 200hp car.

It's very difficult to extract more power from the M271 engine, unfortunately the remappers' power claims are rarely confirmed on the dyno. Achieving a power increase from 156bhp to 210 bhp by a remap isn't very likely. Though obviously a good remap will certainly make the engine feel more responsive.

If you want to continue with modifying the engine you have now, you'll need to consider hardware upgrades (turbo, intercooler, ported head, free flow exhaust manifold, etc etc).

And don't forget to keep an eye on the timing chain - on these models the hydraulic tensioner tends to leak.
'you'll need to consider hardware upgrades (turbo, intercooler, ported head, free flow exhaust manifold, etc etc)' - this is what I was looking for, thanks.

And also thanks for the tip on the timing belt. Since my car is around 110k km I take it for a check up every six months and so far so good (guys at the service were pretty impressed by the state of the engine actually :) ). The belt is fine for now. I heard that it really is a question of when, rather than if it goes.

Misconceptions..

It's a very tunable little engine 220 bhp even , a genuine 100+ Nm torque gainer .

It's tuning boxes that aren't to be trusted , +120Nm for mine when the remappers average 50 Nm .

I'd be happy with that C180 gaining that good amount .

MJ what are you waiting for !!?

Any drive by wire throttle lag , shoux ?

Last edited:
My knowledge is based on research I did at the time, though importantly my M271 was the Kompressor version which is not very tunable. Definitely the remapping gain claims for the Supercharged engine didn't live-up to expectations. Things might be different for the Turbo versions of the M271 though. Turbochargers are more responsive to tuning.

But what hasn't changed, is that MB's way of extracting more power and torque from the M271, isn't simply via more aggressive mapping, but by also using higher pressures combined with lowered compression ratio. So it's not easy to get a C180 CGI to deliver the same power and torque as a C250 CGI without some serious hardware upgrades.

Any drive by wire throttle lag , shoux ?

I wouldn't call it lag but sometimes when I'm in high gear and low RPM it can stutter when I floor it.

I mean pulling out of junctions and joining roundabouts from a stop .

You press the gas and then it move but after a short delay .

It's hard work , lol .

I'm not talking about turbo lag .

But if you're not experiencing drive by wire throttle pedal lag that's great .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom