W204 Dashboard rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

diesel demon

Car
220CDI
I have recently purchased a 2008 C class and the dashboard has started to make a rattle. I've located the source and it apprears to be coming from the centre grill on the dashboard. The parking sensor is located on the grill, as is the light sensor and if i apply slight pressure to the grill the rattle stops. Is it a straight forward job to remove the centre grill to find the exact source of the rattle or do i need a pick axe as the noise is starting to drive me crazy. Any help welcomed.:crazy:

I'm too getting this on my 2011 model....does the centre grill come off easily? it's not the parking light or light sensor, it's definitely the grill - has anyone else had this?

I also had this on my 57 plate W204 but I would get the rattle for about a week, then it would disappear for 2 or 3 months and then come back for another week and so it went on. However, I sold the car 2 weeks ago so I don't have that problem anymore (although someone else will!)

Rattles are so annoying. I had one for a couple of days and I couldn't find it anywhere. My missus found it in 2 seconds. It was the passenger sun visor. It had popped out of it's clip. Silly me!

Hi! Did you fix that rattle?

hi everyone. I am a new member, I had that annoying rattle on my M/Y 2012 C200 sport. I have finally traced it today to a loose Torx screw that fixes a plastic component beneath the centre grille on the dashboard. I removed the parking sensor and the round light sensor fitted in the grille and used a radio removal tool to prise up the grille (4 fixing clips) and removed it. Underneath there is is a circular sponge bung. Remove this and a small Torx screw is exposed. On my car this was loose. I got about 2 turns on it which tightened the component. Refitted the sponge bung then the grille remembering to thread the two connectors and then refitted the two sensors. All fixed and a lovely rattle free MB again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom