W204 DPF Warning Light???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solphorinc

Car
C200 CDI
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here on the forums. I have searched long and hard over the internet to find the information i require but yet to no avail. I have a Mercedes 2012(62 plate) W204 C200 CDI and wanted to know what warning lights show up to inform me that the DPF maybe clogged up or require regeneration and how do i know if regeneration takes place.

i am extremely confused with lots of contradicting messages and information on the general web. I require something more specific.

If anyone can at all shed some light i would be most appreciative.

Thank you in advance, i look forward to your replies.

Harry

Mine is nearly 4 years old and at 46000 miles and I presume the filter gets cleared automatically. I have never noticed a regeneration.
I do 60% motorway which helps I believe.

I imagine the engine warning light will come on if something is wrong.

You may be worrying about nothing.

1st of all no lights show to inform you of regeneration until it is clogged you will then get an engine management light and possibly limp mode.

The only tell tail signs of regeneration is a hot smell and the ticking noise of the exhaust cooling down from its + 500 degree regen. most Mercedes regenerate approx. every 1000mls but this depends on your driving style. a regeneration takes around 20mls from start to completion, for regeneration to start the engine needs to be up to normal temperature and to be on a constant run.

My car regenerates every 1000mls on my way to work I don't have to hold a constant speed but my average speed is around 50mph to 60mph and I travel 23mls on back roads. I was informed by our local indy that if you put your foot down the ecu will abort the regeneration until the next time these parameters are met.
Hope this helps.

Alfie

Ps Passive regeneration occurs at motorway speeds so if you travel regularly on motorways then you will probably never notice when a regeneration has taken place.

Last edited:
My w203 had elm light on and Limp mode, got the pressure sensor replaced and had to have a forced regen using star diagnostics at a local independent garage. It killed the light and now drives fine. Lesson is to take the car for a long run once in a while.

my run to work is close to 30miles just motorway. The only time I believe I know when its done a re-gen is as ALFIEBEARD said the ticking and the 'hot' smell of the exhaust cooling down

Just to add, if you smell burning rubber when you park up, it's probably the regen process. Unless of course you've been ragging it.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response, was away over the weekend and thank you for all the replies.

So a update on the issue. I drove the car from London to Derby in 4th gear for about 30 miles keeping it between 2000-2500 revs and then did normal speed etc until I arrived and I guess nothing had happened, the EML light was still on.
Disheartened and quite cheesed off , continued to drive it around Derby, over the weekend, with EML light still on. I left derby late Yesterday night and this time I turned off ECO mode and I drove like mad to come back to London at times hitting 100+ on motorways and A roads, the EML light was still on when I got back to London.
This morning went out to move the car on to the driveway before work and as I started it up to my surprise EML light is off.

I guess its regenerated itself but it took about 300+ miles to do it! I just think a company like Mercedes would have a more accurate way to displaying dpf issues etc for customers, the EML light is not sufficient as it does not actually tell you if its a DPF issue. Seriously though I would have assumed my first trip from London to Derby would have been enough but hey what can you do.

I will probably stick with Petrol's in future.

Thanks for all your help folks!

I just fixed my w204 C220 exec se , 40k , 2012 - limp mode till 3k drove okay till 3k but the DPF blockage issue put the EML on.
Read on snap on solar ultra machine at local Indy:-
Had engine code P246309
"Dpf soot content not okay, there is a component fault "

Checked the Dpf data
400% blocked and 14g soot 0% ash content

To fix this issue

Put Dpf cleaner from euro car parts £20 bottle took off the 02 sensor and put full bottle into Dpf , left 30 mins, replaced the diff pressure sensor (1withh 2 pipes) £60 from Merc, reset this on the diagnosis machine and turned EmL off, then started car and it looked like it started doing a regen it self, as blue smoke regen white started coming out of the exhaust - for good measure took on a 20min run at 50mph - with a forced regen programme running in the diagnosis machine and this cleared it up- took for a full on run avg 90-120mph to clear anything left in the exhaust - when safe / legal to do so obviously lol

Topped up with v power diesel and forte Dpf cleaner

Moral

NEVER USE SUPERMARKET FUEL!!!!!

As only thing I can put it down to clogging up in 1st place - as I always use motorways do not like I haven't been going on regular runs so must be morrisons or adds fuels after driving using this for about 10k miles this is the only thing I can put it down to.

Hope it helps as I now I was on here for advice myself so wanted to put abck the favour:)

Ps no warning lights to tell yu the Dpf is full or needs a motorway run - 2 random signs 1) limp mode 2) EML

Car is now boosting as should and pulling like a train again - Happy days

I just fixed my w204 C220 exec se , 40k , 2012 - limp mode till 3k drove okay till 3k but the DPF blockage issue put the EML on.
Had engine code P246309

Checked the Dpf data

To fix this issue

Put Dpf cleaner from euro car parts £20 bottle took off the 02 sensor and put full bottle into Dpf , left 30 mins, replaced the diff pressure sensor (1withh 2 pipes) £60 from Merc, reset this on the diagnosis machine and turned EmL off, then started car and it looked like it started doing a regen it self, as blue smoke regen white started coming out of the exhaust - for good measure took on a 20min run at 50mph - with a forced regen programme running in the diagnosis machine and this cleared it up- took for a full on run avg 90-120mph to clear anything left in the exhaust - when safe / legal to do so obviously lol

Moral

As only thing I can put it down to clogging up in 1st place - as I always use motorways do not like I haven't been going on regular runs so must be morrisons or adds fuels after driving using this for about 10k miles this is the only thing I can put it down to.

Hope it helps as I now I was on here for advice myself so wanted to put abck the favour:)

I have mainly used supermarket fuels and have had no issues and on 51k, so I am not convinced they are detrimental.

If all that is true then I am in for a big problem. My journey to work is 3 miles max !!!! Saying that, every couple of weeks it gets a 'quick' run of 40 miles or so, and so far, with more luck then judgement, no problems. Never knew you could get 'fuel' from supermarkets.....as the only fuel stop I recognise is Shell ;-)

I do, once in a while get a strong rubber smell from the rear nearside area........though only noticable when stopped and get out of car. No, that is not my driving style.

Last edited:
If all that is true then I am in for a big problem. My journey to work is 3 miles max !!!! Saying that, every couple of weeks it gets a 'quick' run of 40 miles or so, and so far, with more luck then judgement, no problems. Never knew you could get 'fuel' from supermarkets.....as the only fuel stop I recognise is Shell ;-)

I do, once in a while get a strong rubber smell from the rear nearside area........though only noticable when stopped and get out of car. No, that is not my driving style.

Tesco in Cirencester sell fuel although not in store.

I don't recall that many problems on here with dpf issues.
There are clear instructions in the handbook though and your 40 miles probably does the trick.

Cripes!! LOL VW moved many moons ago. Aldi there now.

Of course I know supermarkets sell fuel Though, not in store as you correctly mention ;-)

And I know exactly where the fuel station part is...I drive past on the way in and on the way out of Tesco, Kingsmeadow twice a day. I buy newspapers at the service station on Saturdays and Sundays every week. My wife fell over some thing or other there two weeks ago. Yep! I know where it is :)

Was just a light hearted comment that I never knew supermarkets sold fuel. Of course I know.......which is why I never get my fuel from them. Not saying it is bad, just I prefer Shell.

Last edited:
Cripes!! LOL VW moved many moons ago. Aldi there now.

Of course I know supermarkets sell fuel Though, not in store as you correctly mention ;-)

And I know exactly where the fuel station part is...I drive past on the way in and on the way out of Tesco, Kingsmeadow twice a day. I buy newspapers at the service station on Saturdays and Sundays every week. My wife fell over some thing or other there two weeks ago. Yep! I know where it is :)

Was just a light hearted comment that I never knew supermarkets sold fuel. Of course I know.......which is why I never get my fuel from them. Not saying it is bad, just I prefer Shell.

That's ok, I often use Shell as its a few 100 metres away and they also sell groceries.
Have a good day.

A Mercedes is not a BMW or other kind of toy!!!

Had engine code P246309

Checked the Dpf data

To fix this issue

Moral

Dear all,
It is useful to know that:
-When the warning light will apear on your dash, do a scan using a STAR Tester. See the error/errors and then google to solve it. Do not use any empiric techiques you can do more harm than good.
Also using a STar Tester you can initiate a forced regeneration (with no side effects). Easy and cheap than you can imagnate :)
But FIRST of all you MUST to solve the cause for blocked DPF

Regards,
M

Forgive me of this sounds like a stupid question, and it will if you know the answer...

Someone earlier in the thread asserted that their car performed a regeneration every thousand miles on their way to work.

Is the EMS programmed to do the regeneration as the mileage reaches each thousand miles or does the dpf sensor trigger a regen?

Les

Forgive me of this sounds like a stupid question, and it will if you know the answer...

Someone earlier in the thread asserted that their car performed a regeneration every thousand miles on their way to work.

Is the EMS programmed to do the regeneration as the mileage reaches each thousand miles or does the dpf sensor trigger a regen?

Les

As MB recommends you need to to do a 30+ mins drive every 300-400 kms at a constant speed 100+km/h for the DPF to regen.

Mine produces different results, so I can only speak from personal experience. An E350 CDI. Regen happens every 200-300 miles depending on how and where the car is driven. Mine spends most of its time in the city (comment against it if you wish, it will be ignored as it is my choice). Regen triggers on the soot content in the DPF and not so much on mileage, hence the variation. From my understanding it will trigger at about 50% full. Sings are different engine note (more beefy, so to speak), holding the gears till about 2k revs, more dull throttle response, the feeling of less power and when you come to a stop ie red light outside of town, whatever, revs will stay at 800 as opposed ot the usual 600.

As for conditions for starting a regen, it seems a bit hit and miss. Some say it needs to be over certain speed etc etc. I have mine start in town driving at around 40 mph as well, so not too certain on that. I tend to keep an eye on mileage when this phenomenon happens and I make a note of when to expect the next one roughly. With almost daily run to the gym, which is 3-4 miles out of town, there is no way I will miss a regen cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom