W204 Electronics Woes - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louwdj

Car
W460 1989 230GE; W123 1982 230E; W203 2004 C220Cdi; W204 2009 C220; W416 1978 Unimogdi
Long story:
Yesterday morning in heavy morning traffic, my W204 C220cdi with ~ 92,000 kms, bought to be a reliable transport for the aging wife, suddenly started misbehaving. After a lane change, in dry weather, the windscreen wipers started wiping; then a warning that the tyre pressure is no longer monitored, followed by the ABS is no longer functioned,Safety restraint system is not working, followed by other messages and a plethora of warning lights, including handbrake, airbag, seat belt, and most every possible warning light and error message. I also discovered that the speedometer was not working and that the indicators were, well, not indicating. Fortunately, there was nothing to say that the driver was about to be ejected, or that the car must be stopped immediately. As soon as possible, I pulled over and switched the car off. At least the hazard warning lights worked.

Switching the engine off and restarting had no effect. All the warnings and lights persisted. The car started normally but after umpteen waits and restarts, when I decided to pull off, I discovered that despite the brake pedal being depressed and the key in the lock, the gear lever was locked solid in Park.

It was obvious that the wife and I were stuck and as a consequence, I would miss my Top's an Tails appointment (a Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy procedure) at the Linksfield hospital, due in about twenty minutes time. Worse, as a consequence, I would have to repeat another agonising preparatory exercise. A 24 hour starvation diet, near drowning in about 6 litres of water in about as many hours, enjoying an induced diarrhoea to get my intestines cleaned – camera ready, so to speak. Not a happy prospect.

Stuck in Park? Fortunately, I then remembered (from the stuck electronic steering lock a few years ago) that under the gear lever cover is a magic yellow button which pressed, releases the gear lever. Press said button and off we went with flashing warnings and alternating messages, lane changes without indicating, no speedo, doing about 4000 revs at a guesstimated 90 kms/h on the motorway. The gearbox was obviously not changing up to top gear. With the hospital eventually in sight, the car went over some undulations and presto! Real magic! Everything back to normal! Normal revs, speedo, indicators and everything that should, working normally. Only the small yellow engine warning light stayed on.

As a consequence, my wife is refused to drive the car and I cannot blame her. A friend had to fetch her and take her home. She fetched me in the afternoon (I was not allowed to drive after the anaesthetic) with the W203. The W204, is sleeping over at the hospital and will stay there. At least till tomorrow.

I subsequently spoke to my Mercedes expert (with a Bosch service garage) here in Johannesburg and he thinks it is a bad earth somewhere. His recommendation for a reliable car? Buy a Toyota - or a Honda. Me thinks: It is perhaps a pity that I have just sold my W123 and may be I should consider a roll-back truck as my next restoration project.

This morning we fetched the W204 from the hospital (parking ground) and everything was still normal. Even the engine warning light was off. About fifteen kilometres later, mostly motoraway, without any bumps in the road, everything went beserk again. All the warnings of not functioning systems, no indicators, no speedometer, etc, as above. Fortunately this was close to home and I parked the car in the garage. I will now use my 2002 Landrover Disco II instead.

The battery test 12.7 volts and a cursory check shows no loose wires. Unfortunately my X-432 Pro diagnostics computer now wants upgraded software but I am not optimistic that it will do a sucessful diagnosis of this intermittent problem.

Anyone else with a similar experience with a W204?

Any suggestions where or what to look for?

I had various warnings when my alternator packed up, and the car was running on what was left in the battery, they progressively came up as the battery reduced. Had a big red warning battery symbol on the dash though.

Long story:
Yesterday morning in heavy morning traffic, my W204 C220cdi with ~ 92,000 kms, bought to be a reliable transport for the aging wife, suddenly started misbehaving. After a lane change, in dry weather, the windscreen wipers started wiping; then a warning that the tyre pressure is no longer monitored, followed by the ABS is no longer functioned,Safety restraint system is not working, followed by other messages and a plethora of warning lights, including handbrake, airbag, seat belt, and most every possible warning light and error message. I also discovered that the speedometer was not working and that the indicators were, well, not indicating. Fortunately, there was nothing to say that the driver was about to be ejected, or that the car must be stopped immediately. As soon as possible, I pulled over and switched the car off. At least the hazard warning lights worked.

Switching the engine off and restarting had no effect. All the warnings and lights persisted. The car started normally but after umpteen waits and restarts, when I decided to pull off, I discovered that despite the brake pedal being depressed and the key in the lock, the gear lever was locked solid in Park.

It was obvious that the wife and I were stuck and as a consequence, I would miss my Top's an Tails appointment (a Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy procedure) at the Linksfield hospital, due in about twenty minutes time. Worse, as a consequence, I would have to repeat another agonising preparatory exercise. A 24 hour starvation diet, near drowning in about 6 litres of water in about as many hours, enjoying an induced diarrhoea to get my intestines cleaned – camera ready, so to speak. Not a happy prospect.

Stuck in Park? Fortunately, I then remembered (from the stuck electronic steering lock a few years ago) that under the gear lever cover is a magic yellow button which pressed, releases the gear lever. Press said button and off we went with flashing warnings and alternating messages, lane changes without indicating, no speedo, doing about 4000 revs at a guesstimated 90 kms/h on the motorway. The gearbox was obviously not changing up to top gear. With the hospital eventually in sight, the car went over some undulations and presto! Real magic! Everything back to normal! Normal revs, speedo, indicators and everything that should, working normally. Only the small yellow engine warning light stayed on.

As a consequence, my wife is refused to drive the car and I cannot blame her. A friend had to fetch her and take her home. She fetched me in the afternoon (I was not allowed to drive after the anaesthetic) with the W203. The W204, is sleeping over at the hospital and will stay there. At least till tomorrow.

I subsequently spoke to my Mercedes expert (with a Bosch service garage) here in Johannesburg and he thinks it is a bad earth somewhere. His recommendation for a reliable car? Buy a Toyota - or a Honda. Me thinks: It is perhaps a pity that I have just sold my W123 and may be I should consider a roll-back truck as my next restoration project.

This morning we fetched the W204 from the hospital (parking ground) and everything was still normal. Even the engine warning light was off. About fifteen kilometres later, mostly motoraway, without any bumps in the road, everything went beserk again. All the warnings of not functioning systems, no indicators, no speedometer, etc, as above. Fortunately this was close to home and I parked the car in the garage. I will now use my 2002 Landrover Disco II instead.

The battery test 12.7 volts and a cursory check shows no loose wires. Unfortunately my X-432 Pro diagnostics computer now wants upgraded software but I am not optimistic that it will do a sucessful diagnosis of this intermittent problem.

Anyone else with a similar experience with a W204?

Any suggestions where or what to look for?
My first thought is low system voltage - either a defective battery or a problem with the charging system , could be as little as a loose drive belt or perhaps a faulty alternator.

I’d check the voltage on the battery , first before starting ( look for nominal 12V on the battery ) then with the engine running ( when it should read 13-15 V ) .

I am impressed - with the quick responses received. Thank you. My apologies for my slow answer.

The battery tested 12.7 Volts but down to 12.1 Volts the next day and only 11.7 Volts on the third day. Obviously, something was draining it. The amazing thing is that even at 11.7 volts the car heated the glow plugs and twice in a row started without any hesitation. Checking the battery however, I realised it was past its prime. Date stamp 26 08. The car was manufactured in 2009. Another incredible service from the original MB Varta, gell type battery. A few months ago I changed a similar battery in my W203, wait for it: after fourteen years! By all counts, a record. My previous best was "only" seven years with another brand in a Peugeot 504.

I bought a new Exide battery of similar capacity (95Ah 900 A?n) and the car has no faults or warnings. Being as sick as dog at present with some virus infection (from the hospital visit?), I have only managed two short trips so far, including some seriious 'shaking-ups" over a rought road. No issues.

I am so glad it is not an intermittent gremlin to be chased and I may now keep the W204 after all. Its just annoying that with all the technology, it did not diagnose itself better.

Thanks again for your spot-on diagnosis. It is highly appreciated.

Could possibly be the front SAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom