W204 Estate - Front Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpc

Car
2018 S205 C250 AMG LINE PREMIUM D AUTO
I'm needing new tyres for the front of my (2011) 2.1 C250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport Edition 125 5G-Tronic 5dr estate.

I'm the new owner and the previous tyres are a mixture front & back!
currently on front is 1 Continental Contisport and 1 Cooper Zeon CS6
The rears are Jinyu YU63

Front - 225/40R18 Y 92
Rear - 255/35R18 Y 94

On my previous car (Audi) I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3 which I found to be fine. Will they be OK on this motor? Any recommendations? I prefer a quieter tyre if possible.

Last edited:
What size wheels and what size tyres?

Personally I found Dunlop BluResponse to be very good and very reasonably priced.

What size wheels and what size tyres?

Personally I found Dunlop BluResponse to be very good and very reasonably priced.

I've edited my post with tyre sizes

Goodyear Eagle f3 Asymmetrics - I have them in 17" on my S204 C220, they're quiet but good grip, feel and wear.

I'm needing new tyres for the front of my (2011) 2.1 C250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport Edition 125 5G-Tronic 5dr estate.

I'm the new owner and the previous tyres are a mixture front & back!
currently on front is 1 Continental Contisport and 1 Cooper Zeon CS6
The rears are Jinyu YU63

Front - 225/40R18 Y 92
Rear - 255/35R18 Y 94

I have the same set up on mine and have the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics 3 , There a good tyre

very common sizes, many quality choices available in both front and rear.
suppose it depends how you drive it, you have budget tyres on the rear, if happy with that then the front is open season.
I'd say mid-range is something like nexen's, fitted a few and been impressed with them.

OK so after some research and advice its narrowed down to either
Continental Sport Contact 5 or
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
Both these tyres are rated MO and also provide the same tyre for the larger 255/35/R18 wheels on my car when required.

Any one here have experience with either before I bite the bullet?

OK so after some research and advice its narrowed down to either
Continental Sport Contact 5 or
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
Both these tyres are rated MO and also provide the same tyre for the larger 255/35/R18 wheels on my car when required.

Any one here have experience with either before I bite the bullet?

Don't let that sway you, I've fitted plenty of mid range tyres that were better than premium MO tyres.

Russ

The issue with MO tyres is that the compatibility list seems to have been closed a good few years back and there are no new entries.

So it you opt for an MO tyre you are bound to end-up buying an older model.

And I don't believe that ContiSportContact 5 is available as MO?

AFAIK, for Continental summer tyres, this is the current situation:

ContinSportContact 2 MO (latest: 6)
ContinPremiumContact 2 MO (latest: 6)
ContinEcoContact 5 MO (latest: 5 - this model has not modified in years)

works fine for me?

Do not take any notice of MO - as long as the tyres are the right size and load/speed rating they'll be fine (I do this both for my MB and for my Porsche).

Based on past experience I will not touch Continental tyres - on my 968 coupe they wore out very quickly (and not through lunatic driving before anyone comments) and were noisy, on my S204 they were noisy and gave a harsh ride. Equally I was not impressed with Dunlops on my 968 cab. I have had the S204 on Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetrics (17" staggered, 225/45 and 245/40) and the 968 cab on Goodyear Efficientgrips (16" staggered, 205/55 and 225/50) for a couple of years now and am really happy with them. The S204 in particular has transformed from a harsh and noisy ride to a whisper quiet comfortable ride, yet good grip wet and dry .

Conti sport contact are great. apart from tyre noise and poor economy. Grip is excellent. I have them fitted all round

I had Dunlop Sport FastResponse, then ContiPremiumContact 2 MO, then Dunlop Sport BluResponse on the W203.

I really do like the Dunlop Sport BluResponse so had a set fitted to the wife's Kia Soul.

My current W204 came with Bridgestone Turanza T001 in good nick, so I did not replace them yet. I find the ride harsh - I ran the W203 at the upper limit of the pressure range, and I am running the W204 at the lower limit of the tyre pressure range. But I have no way of knowing if the harsh ride is the result of the Bridgestone tyres or perhaps it's a characteristic of the W204 - not until I try the W204 with different tyres.

I am tied between ContiPremiumContact 6 (not yet available in my size) and another (3rd...) set of Dunlop Sport FastResponse,.

The latter did what it says on the tin.... they made the car very responsive to the slightest steering input. Great for slalom and for avoiding drunk pedestrians and kamikaze cyclists in town, but then they tend to tram-line at motorway speeds i.e. the steering requires some minor constant input to keep the car straight.

Hankook Ventus V12-been using these for 4years now on my previous S203 and now my S204. I can’t fault them for performance/wear/price.

Pretty much same as my C55 AMG . I recently fitted Avon ZZ5 all round. No complaints and a good price. If the work on my V8 AMG I am sure they won't have too much trouble taming a C250D.

And they are made in the UK.

I have just changed to a brand called Davanti. Very quiet, good grip and good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom