W204 estate self leveling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
I am led to believe there is a self levelling rear suspension option on the W204 estate costing some £695. Has anyone got this option on their car and what does it consist of?? Is it the hydro pneumatic type with a pump /level control and spheres or simply as I suspect a simpler self adjusting strut/shock arrangement-- and does it affect ride quality. I can find little or no detail on this option.:confused: Any experience or links to info welcome.:thumb:

No doubt you will get more technical answers from the crew on here, but this option is standard on the S212 E class estate and it is rather cool. On holiday with the family and noticed the car riding very low on the rear wheels once we had packed several metric tonnes of buggies, carry cots, booster seats, bucket and spade etc in the boot. Turned on the engine and watched it rise very gradually to a normal position. It took maybe a minute to complete the process and then remained in place once i turned the engine off (presumably would have sunk with time).

Felt like a very sedate version of a Snoop Dog video. The car handled and drove as normal thereafter. Pneumatic maybe?

Last edited:
Is it standard on elegance spec and not on sport spec due to the lowering springs and firmer dampers needed to give the sport its sport driving mannerisms.

That is interesting ***. Mine is a sport and I am sure I have it... Are you referring to the S204 rather than the S212? Fair enough as that is what the thread is actually about...

Think the E class estate uses air rear suspension with self levelling as standard. Unfortunately its not clear exactly what the C class estate uses when its fitted with self levelling as an option- its possibly the same but its unclear. [ no mention of air for example] Thanks for your feedback- appreciated

I think I may have answered my own question after much searching . :eek: I'm guessing but I reckon the C class estate self levelling will use the ZF SACHS Nivomat type suspension units already used by MB in some of their commercial vehicles. In addition I would guess they will employ the new electric pump assisted units described in these 2 articles--- but it would be nice to have my suspicions confirmed???:confused:
Self Leveling rear suspension | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Self-leveling suspension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom