W204 facelift owners - where is the ECO symbol located in you instrument cluster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it possible that the instrument clusters are made by more than one supplier? That may account for any differences.
Or perhaps it is deeper in the programming somewhere.

Odd that you don't have the coffee cup symbol. And odd that you don't have the HOLD symbol showing on the dash when you use the Hill Climb Assist. The plot thickens.....
Ok. I tried the car on a couple of hills and the Hill Start Assist works fine, ie the car held between moving my foot from the brake to the accelerator but still no Hold symbol.
Looking in the handbook it says that the hold function is deactivated if you activate Distronic Plus. I looked but can't find anything on the display about Distronic Plus so i suspect I don't have it.
As for the Attention Assist, as far as I can tell by reading the handbook the coffee cup symbol appears if it is switched OFF but I could be wrong.
I've taken a couple of pics of the relevant pages in the hand book but don't know if you'll be able to read them clearly.

Attachments

• Att.jpg
    Att.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • hold.jpg
    hold.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I don't know if this helps. This is from my 2012 (Build 802) saloon with both COMAND and 22P Lane Tracking.
Unlike most saloons of this era mine is German built, probably because of the multiple options specified.
Could the position difference be between German and South African built cars?

Attachments

• Speedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 4
It is not any of the above:

- Model year
- Trim level (SE, AMG, etc)
- Engine type (CDI, CGI, etc)
- Body type (Saloon/Coupe/Estate)
- Transmission Type (Auto/manual)
- Parktronic or Attention Assist (apparently these are standard on all cars)

It can definitely be one of the Driver Aids:

Lane Keep Assist - does anyone have that?
Distronic - does anyone have that?
Blind Spot Assist - does anyone have that?

(Speed Sign Recognition Assist / Speed Limit Assist / Automatic Traffic Sign was eliminated by knighterrant)

So it isn't Lane Keep Assist then....

Ok. I tried the car on a couple of hills and the Hill Start Assist works fine, ie the car held between moving my foot from the brake to the accelerator but still no Hold symbol.
Looking in the handbook it says that the hold function is deactivated if you activate Distronic Plus. I looked but can't find anything on the display about Distronic Plus so i suspect I don't have it.
As for the Attention Assist, as far as I can tell by reading the handbook the coffee cup symbol appears if it is switched OFF but I could be wrong.
I've taken a couple of pics of the relevant pages in the hand book but don't know if you'll be able to read them clearly.

So what we know is that:

- On your car the ECO symbol is on the right.

- The coffee cup symbol does not show when Attention Assist is activated.

- The HOLD symbol does not show.

BTW, the HOLD function is activated by pressing hard on the brake pedal, and can be tested by lifting the foot off the brake pedal while on level plane, the car should not creep forward.

So what we know is that:

- On your car the ECO symbol is on the right.

- The coffee cup symbol does not show when Attention Assist is activated.

- The HOLD symbol does not show.

BTW, the HOLD function is activated by pressing hard on the brake pedal, and can be tested by lifting the foot off the brake pedal while on level plane, the car should not creep forward.
Well the car does creep forward on a level plane under normal circumstances, but the hill start assist definitely works uphill.
I'll try pressing hard on the pedal tomorrow to see if that works.
I hope it's not the case that my car was built in South Africa as Aybracers post would suggest. I don't know what difference it would make to build quality but I would like to think that it is German built.

Well the car does creep forward on a level plane under normal circumstances, but the hill start assist definitely works uphill.
I'll try pressing hard on the pedal tomorrow to see if that works.
I hope it's not the case that my car was built in South Africa as Aybracers post would suggest. I don't know what difference it would make to build quality but I would like to think that it is German built.

1. My previous car (W203) was built in the East London plant in South Africa, and provided me with flawless service during the 9 years that I owned it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the car being built in South Africa.

2. You can tell where your car was built by looking at the letter in the middle of your VIN:

A-E Sindelfingen
F-H Bremen
J Rastatt
X Graz
R East London (SA)
T Karmann
M Woking, England (SLR)

3. I know of at least one other car that has the ECO on the side (like yours) and the central letter on the VIN is A (Sindelfingen), which is the same as my car, so obviously the factory isn't it.

4. Hill Start Assist is not the same as brake HOLD. I'll try and post the pages from the manual.

20200716-210900.jpg

20200716-210922.jpg

1. My previous car (W203) was built in the East London plant in South Africa, and provided me with flawless service during the 9 years that I owned it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the car being built in South Africa.

2. You can tell where your car was built by looking at the letter in the middle of your VIN:

A-E Sindelfingen
F-H Bremen
J Rastatt
X Graz
R East London (SA)
T Karmann
M Woking, England (SLR)

3. I know of at least one other car that has the ECO on the side (like yours) and the central letter on the VIN is A (Sindelfingen), which is the same as my car, so obviously the factory isn't it.

4. Hill Start Assist is not the same as brake HOLD. I'll try and post the pages from the manual.
Just checked and my number is A too. So built in Sindelfingen.

Ah, I thought the Brake Hold System WAS the same as hill start assist. Having read the pages you've posted I'll try it in the morning.
Still very strange about the coffee cup though.

Ok. I have found the hold function by pressing the brake hard in Drive. Pic attached. You learn something every day.

I have noticed that the car will creep forward in D if just using the foot operated parking brake Waste of time that thing, I never use it.

Attachments

• Hold.jpg
    Hold.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Ok. I have found the hold function by pressing the brake hard in Drive. Pic attached. You learn something every day.

I have noticed that the car will creep forward in D if just using the foot operated parking brake Waste of time that thing, I never use it.

So the ECO and HOLD symbols on your instrument cluster display are exactly in the opposite positions to mine....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom