W204 Facelift Spy Shots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a reason to buy a 220cdi!!!

I seriously don't get your fascination with the 5 speed box Stuart :dk:

When I was loaned a W212 E250 CDi earlier this year for a few weeks (whilst I waited for the C63 to be built) I had the (unfortunate) experience of having the 5 speed gearbox in that car. I found it slow to take off, dangerously so in my mind, it took it's time to make a gear change and, God forbid if I tried to change myself I'd need a shot of Red Bull to stop me from taking a nap between moving the gear lever and the gearbox acting upon the instruction.

Compared to the ZF box thats fitted to most other cars and the 7G in the C63 it wasn't even that smooth and just spoilt an otherwise fine car by making it appear like it had a wheezy, slow-responding drivetrain. It would also leave the engine outside of it's natural powerband at times which just exaggerated the slow responding feel of the car.

I appreciate the 7G gearbox in the C63 (my only experience of the 7G box) is called Speedshift and differs slightly from the standard 7G box but I seriously can't see how the standard 7G box isn't a marked improvement on it's predecessor? Yes, it will obviously change gears more often as it has more of them but I never once got the impression that it 'hunted' for the right gear...it always seemed to do exactly what I wanted which meant I very rarely used the paddles!

IMHO, I don't think MB can pension off that 5-speeder soon enough!

Looks like MB are trying to copy the "angry" headlights from BMW...Not good, not good.

I have one on order, should delay the delivery to get a facelfted one....:dk:

O YES! Theres a monster C63 in white I see in the MB of Derby showroom every day. I'm surprised I haven't crashed I stare that hard. It must be absolutely gorgeous, a C63 with that facelift!

Does anyone know anything of prices? I heard at work that the average, the new W204 € 2000, - (~ 1700 (GBP) more expensive

I don't get it either?? I think the 7G is so, so, so far advanced of the 5 speed it is unreal. It pulls away well, it changes seamlessly and it seems to find the right gear pretty much all the time, only had it twice when it has hunted in the 24k miles I have done in mine.

I think he may have a serious issue with his gearbox if he thinks the old 5 speed is better. :dk:

Last set of shots before it is officially revealed:

Erlk%C3%B6nig-C-Klasse-Mopf-005_101220153147.JPG

Erlk%C3%B6nig-C-Klasse-Mopf-004_101220153149.JPG

Erlk%C3%B6nig-C-Klasse-Mopf-002_101220153151.JPG

Erlk%C3%B6nig-C-Klasse-Mopf-001_101220153152.JPG

When I was loaned a W212 E250 CDi earlier this year for a few weeks (whilst I waited for the C63 to be built) I had the (unfortunate) experience of having the 5 speed gearbox in that car. I found it slow to take off, dangerously so in my mind, it took it's time to make a gear change and, God forbid if I tried to change myself I'd need a shot of Red Bull to stop me from taking a nap between moving the gear lever and the gearbox acting upon the instruction.

Compared to the ZF box thats fitted to most other cars and the 7G in the C63 it wasn't even that smooth and just spoilt an otherwise fine car by making it appear like it had a wheezy, slow-responding drivetrain. It would also leave the engine outside of it's natural powerband at times which just exaggerated the slow responding feel of the car.

I appreciate the 7G gearbox in the C63 (my only experience of the 7G box) is called Speedshift and differs slightly from the standard 7G box but I seriously can't see how the standard 7G box isn't a marked improvement on it's predecessor? Yes, it will obviously change gears more often as it has more of them but I never once got the impression that it 'hunted' for the right gear...it always seemed to do exactly what I wanted which meant I very rarely used the paddles!

I don't get it either?? I think the 7G is so, so, so far advanced of the 5 speed it is unreal. It pulls away well, it changes seamlessly and it seems to find the right gear pretty much all the time, only had it twice when it has hunted in the 24k miles I have done in mine.

I think he may have a serious issue with his gearbox if he thinks the old 5 speed is better. :dk:

Funny how different people like different things.

I cannot say I found the same.

I did notice Andys lag issue, but all the blue efficiency cars have this. Its not tricky to get round it, just plant it and the car will go. Its about 1 sec, better still, try and plan your drive to avoid stopping (the whole slow to go thing) and its less of an issue.

I had a 1yr old max CLS350, pretty bang upto date box, and it was still gash, and although minus the the jolt of my car, it has another one thats the common 2 into 1. Its very uncouth.

I found it easy to keep the 212 in a usable powerband. Its a sluggish car, and coming from what you are used to, you probably are used too, and drive in a more spirited manner than me. Gear change times are a bit slow from paddle being pressed to it changing gear, but no slower than the 7g.

I liked the 212 a lot, I can see me in one, but the 4pots are a bit weeny for it, so I am forced into a 6pot and that means 7g. I could go the 204 route next time around, and a 220cdi would be enough, and I could get a 5spd box.

Thats a way off. All the things will probably fail on this car whilst its under warranty, and I could get a nice new car out of all these repairs.

The 204 facelift looks a very compelling next car for me, not that the interior is more luxurious.

Why oh why do they insist in trimming the windows in alu-bling... :eek:

It's a supposed to be a "sports saloon". :confused:

My M3 had nice simple clean window tim, as did the S4, and my current W203 Sport Edition. :cool:

So why spoil the W204 Sport with ****e shiny bits. :wallbash:
Because it looks much nicer than black paint? And less cheap? IMO.

I agree with *** on this. Have driven S class, ML, GL, and E class with the seven speed box and all had jerky changes at certain speeds in certain conditions. For literally years after the 7 speed box came out MB were issuing updates, improvements and many never got their car right. The 5 speed has been virtually faultless. In addition as many reviewers have noted the 7 speed sometimes can't seem to make up its mind when kicking down -goes for one gear, then another. IMO diesels don't need lots of gears as the high torque is suited to fewer gears. And diesels are now about 9 out 0f every 10 E class, for example.

Having said that, the new eight speed box on the beemers is a joy and gives economy as good as the manual. So maybe if MB have got all the bugs out of the 7 speed box it will be OK. But nothing can detract from the fact that the MB 5 speed is a great box, and much loved by many.

Because it looks much nicer than black paint? And less cheap? IMO.

I wouldn't want it painted black!!
A high gloss shadowline as you get from other marques, looks much younger and less blingy imho, the silver just looks dated and cheap, fine for the elegance, mind you that will probably be dropped like the W212.

You're a bit old before your time anyway. :D

I just wish you had the option, that's all.

I think the Merc options stink at the moment full stop, look at the W212, no elegance so no lighter interiors, the paint options are not great either, you should be able to spec. a £45,000 car the way you want it, there is some dodgy looking beige and black combo, or some rank brown leather, again mixed with black dash and carpets etc. and then black, oh, or grey but again it is seats and door cards only, black dash and carpets, that one actually looks alright though and quite sporty.
So you choose the sporty looking interior but then an exterior that doesn't look sporty at all with all the chrome.

Give us the choice that's all Im asking.

Totally agree with your gizze!

Mercs, especially to Sports and AMG's, should be available without the chrome trim and have an option similar to BMW's Shadowline - a lovely shiny gloss black.

The interior and exterior colour choice is poor too...when I was trying to specify an E63 I had only the choice of black or grey interiors without going to the expense of Designo. Now, as I'm sure you all know, don't mind paying extra for a bespoke interior but in the E63 I had to spec a sunroof, a luxury pack and a new paved driveway just to get an interior colour in something other than grey or black :wallbash: Very frustrating, limiting and expensive.

Sort it out Mercedes - it doesn't cost you anymore to put in a red/blue/beige/cream/grey interior than it does a black one so why not give us the choice. Sure, charge extra...but don't take the p!ss.

And finally...why do they have a hundred different shades of silver/grey and very few other colours available (although to be fair, it's not only Mercedes that are like this)?

Totally agree with your gizze!

Mercs, especially to Sports and AMG's, should be available without the chrome trim and have an option similar to BMW's Shadowline - a lovely shiny gloss black.

The interior and exterior colour choice is poor too...when I was trying to specify an E63 I had only the choice of black or grey interiors without going to the expense of Designo. Now, as I'm sure you all know, don't mind paying extra for a bespoke interior but in the E63 I had to spec a sunroof, a luxury pack and a new paved driveway just to get an interior colour in something other than grey or black :wallbash: Very frustrating, limiting and expensive.

Sort it out Mercedes - it doesn't cost you anymore to put in a red/blue/beige/cream/grey interior than it does a black one so why not give us the choice. Sure, charge extra...but don't take the p!ss.

And finally...why do they have a hundred different shades of silver/grey and very few other colours available (although to be fair, it's not only Mercedes that are like this)?

I reckon its a deja vu form of market research exercised by the dealer/ importer. When ordering cars they ask themselves- what colours sell ?? ---their answer---- Silver and Black! So when you go to the showroom what are colours are in stock/on display??--- Silver and Black-- so what do people buy??----- Silver and Black--- because they are available! --- It's a self fulfilling prophecy .:wallbash:

I reckon its a deja vu form of market research exercised by the dealer/ importer. When ordering cars they ask themselves- what colours sell ?? ---their answer---- Silver and Black! So when you go to the showroom what are colours are in stock/on display??--- Silver and Black-- so what do people buy??----- Silver and Black--- because they are available! --- It's a self fulfilling prophecy .:wallbash:

Not forgetting white and black :) my personal fav:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom