w204 FL C63 shock absorbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icecoolwas

Car
W204 C63 AMG 2012 FL
Good evening all,

My front driver shock absorber has failed saddly and is rattling and making a metalic sound. The car does not have the sport suspension (its a 457hp c63 w204).

I was wondering if the shock absorber would be the same as those on any c class, such as a c220/c250 etc or if it is completely different?

Thanks

I think the part number you need is A 204 320 47 30 (left and right are the same) and they're C63 AMG specific parts.

If you need to keep costs down an OEM equivalent part e.g. Sachs should be cheaper than MB. Definitely replace both sides though.

I think the part number you need is A 204 320 47 30 (left and right are the same) and they're C63 AMG specific parts.

If you need to keep costs down an OEM equivalent part e.g. Sachs should be cheaper than MB. Definitely replace both sides though.

Hi Jason.

Thanks for letting me know. The passenger side was recently replaced by the previous owner with an MB shocker, however I need to replace the driver side.

MB have quoted me £247 for a shock absorber, however I've found a sachs shocker for £139 on autodoc. ECP have a sachs shocker for £120 after discount, but I will need to confirm with them if its the correct one.

Do you think there will be an issue having a sachs on the driver side? Shouldn't make much of a difference, no?

Thanks

Do you think there will be an issue having a sachs on the driver side? Shouldn't make much of a difference, no?

Definitely replace both sides though.

I personally would replace both sides, even if the nearside is relatively new. I would also stick with MB parts, 'equivalents' are never really equivalent and the ride/handling will be affected

Mercedes themselves will replace shock absorbers in pairs or at least insist/strongly recommend pairs.....unless under warranty. When the car is newish and a shock absorber fails it's considered that a replacement genuine part will perform the same as the part on the other side.

The whole point is that if the damping on one side of the car is not matched to the other side the car may not travel in a straight line under some conditions, like heavy braking.

Mixing makes is a bad idea.

If the other side is less than say 2 years old and in great condition then I'd perhaps replace just the one, but I'd definitely use the same make i.e. an MB one.

There is one possible option but it carries a small risk. MB probably don't make their own shock absorbers. If you have a really good look at the MB one you might find it's actually made by Sachs or Boge anyway. However....I know that automotive suppliers don't always provide exactly the same spec part to the aftermarket market and the original manufacturer. Some even grade the product and the best goes to the manufacturer. So really your best bet is a single MB part or a pair of OEM replacements.

Finally be really careful with both Autodoc and ECP. In my personal experience they are both cheap suppliers for a reason. ECP have supplied me "alternative" parts that didn't fit in the past then made it virtually impossible to get a refund/replacement (more than once). Autodoc is a German supplier so UK consumer protection does not apply, if for example they decide to send you an equivalent alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom