W204 FOOTWELL LIGHTS.

• Thread starter Deleted member 139143
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 139143

Hi all, just being curious. is the wiring or socket pre installed behind the footwell panels for the footwell lights. I haven't got them fitted on my 61 plate c220d. is it just a case of plug in and away or is it more a case of having to try and retro fit them. also where is the switch located to activate them and is it the same one as the interior lights.:) :) .
Cheers all.

Are we talking about footwell lights (in the footwell), or 'puddle lights' aka 'kerb lights' (in the door)?

Mercedes rarely fitted looms that were not used.

Looms will be available along with the lights, they are operated by the door switches but you may need a little coding to let the SAM know they are fitted and to operate them.

No footwell light wiring on a W204, and a pig as you have to take out front Sam to get to install the wiring and that means removing windscreen wipers. And then you need to code the lights - which is not trivial depending on age of vehicle (as some were trim dependant rather than option code dependant, particularly so the puddle lights)

R

I would say that if you do fit footwell lights or kerb lights DIY, your best bet might be to simply wire them to the door switch like you would in the olden days, instead of to the front SAM or door control module... not a very clever solution I admit, but it will save you the need to fabricae looms and carry-out STAR coding, which are not easily done DIY.

(For full disclosure, Richard and his chaps had my puddle light professionally retrofitted including proper wiring and coding, and they did a great job!)

Interesting - my 08 plate C220 S204 Elegance has footwell lights in both front footwells, they are little W5W units like the glovebox and vanity mirror lights, and dim up when you open the door. The original W5W bulbs give very little light, can't switch to LED as they dim up, but with a little sideways thinking it's possible to install a normal W16W bulb as fited to the reversing lights! These give much better light in the footwell.

Hi all, thanks for the replies and the info. whereabouts is the door switch.:).:thumb:.

Bottom of the A pillar - open the door wide and look towards the bottom, it's a little push switch.

The switch is part of the door lock
9c41b4eaa46f2b7ac9c046861f75ca45.jpg
d24719f74627adaf3d9424df899d7393.jpg
13fb87e32e35b69e93937772e4c1ab5b.jpg

Connection to the door module to get the door light working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

735bba1d4675b87a4ae1fdbea6b7a752.jpg

I connected to this wire on the overhead light panel for the footwell lights

Hi jon.english68, how awkward was it to run the cable from the overhead light panel down to the footwell areas.where did you pick the earth up from. cheers :).

it wasnt too hard, remove the A pillar trims thread the wire from the centre light to the pillars and down behind the dash, from below remove the lower panels to fit the lights in and you can fish around to find the wires you have just threaded through and connect them to the light fitting, for the earth I passed a wire through to the 12V socked in the centre console

Cheers matey, really appreciate the info.:thumb:.

735bba1d4675b87a4ae1fdbea6b7a752.jpg

I connected to this wire on the overhead light panel for the footwell lights

Sorry for the necropost, but I'm just researching how to do footwell lights and I've found this, but also a thread with a pic of wiring soldered on to the lampholders on the rooflight unit, both methods posted by you - is there a preferred/better method of the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom