W204 Harsh braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommy2

Wonder if anyone can advize, I have just test driven a C180 stop start blueefficiency 2012, and left a deposit, but on braking I noticed that they are very sensitive and any over pressure brings car to sudden stop. The private seller assures me that I am applying brakes too sharply, and he has no problems.
Does anyone have similar problems with their car, 0r any advice for me,

I currently drive a 2002 C180.

I don't remember my son's C180 2012 Coupe having sensitive brakes. Maybe they are just a lot better than your outgoing car's brakes. No offence intended.

I don't remember my son's C180 2012 Coupe having sensitive brakes. Maybe they are just a lot better than your outgoing car's brakes. No offence intended.

Yes I know what you mean, I am hoping it is me actually, and I am just going to have to get used to it, on the other hand I am perhaps expecting someone on here to give me a solution, and advice

You may be activating the BAS (Brake Assist System) which if it thinks you are performing an emergency stop takes over the braking and stops the car very quickly.

I went from a an 89 190e to a 2009 W204 and was astounded how sensitive the brakes were on the W204. Maybe I was initiating the brake assist. It took a little while to get used to them but smooth application is not a problem now.

Last edited:
You may be activating the BAS (Brake Assist System) which if it thinks you are performing an emergency stop takes over the braking and stops the car very quickly.

I see, so that means I was over doing it a bit.......in other words I need to get used to it, thanks for that

Last edited:
It's a possibility. This is from the BAS article linked in my previous post

Brake Assist detects circumstances in which emergency braking is required by measuring the speed with which the brake pedal is depressed. Some systems additionally take into account the rapidity of which the accelerator pedal is released, pre-tensioning the brakes when a "panic release" of the accelerator pedal is noted. When panic braking is detected, the Brake Assist system automatically develops maximum brake boost in order to mitigate a drivers tendency to brake without enough force. In doing so, Brake Assist has been shown to reduce stopping distance by a significant margin; up to 20% in some studies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom