W204 instrument cluster plastic trim removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dibblodocus

Car
W204 C220 CDI Exec SE
My W204 C Class has developed an annoying rattle that I think is coming from the black plastic trim that surrounds the instrument cluster.

Having read a post on benzworld 2009-C230 Inerior Noises and Panel Flex Sounds - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum it appears that I am not alone in this issue and that removing the trim and then refitting with some strategically placed felt might sort it out.

I have tried to search for instructions about how to remove the black plastic trim in question but I have had not joy. Following one rather cautious removal attempt I have determined that it is easy to pull the bottom of the trim out away from the instrument console, but it is also attached at the top as well. Is it a question of simply pulling, or do you need to insert some kind of tool to remove it?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

I had the same problem. Temperature-dependent and at times very annoying. I found the solution on another board - sorry can't remember where - but it was a Scandinavian.

The answer is you have to release the trim from the top. Just slide some sort of wedge between the dashboard and the trim. First open up the gap slightly with a knife blade and then use a plastic or wooden wedge to avoid marking anything. I used a plastic door wedge. The trim pops down quite easily from its 2 clips. Then you can pull the trim out from the bottom. No force needed. Then add your chosen felt/foam pads. I used the felt half of stick-on Velcro pads which you can get from stationery/hobby/DIY shops.

Good luck.

i saw a youtube video of a guy correcting the mileage on the dash, he took the whole thing apart quite easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom