W204 Interior Peeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Bhoy

Car
C180K
Just noticed today that the black coating around the centre cupholder in my W204 has started peeling. Since it's only 2.5 years old I'm hoping to get it replaced under warranty - has anyone else had a similar problem?

I've seen mention of it on a couple of US MB forums & it looks like they had to argue against 'wear & tear' to get it sorted, but not sure MB policy is the same in the UK as the US?

Just looked at the warranty & it says interior trim isn't covered, so will just need to try my luck at the dealership...

Have you got a picture of the damage? My 57 plate w204 (C220CDI Sport) doesn't suffer from this problem.

zJsLi.jpg

Hi
I had the very same problem with my 58 plate w204 after 2 years ,I took it down to my Mercedes dealership at Bromley Kent a guy came out had a look booked it in to be done no charge I assume it was done under warranty hope this helps good luck :thumb:

Is this in the replacement car ?

Is this in the replacement car ?

Yes, unfortunately it is.

Was planning just to go to the nearby MB garage rather than bother going all the way back to the place I bought it (2hr round trip vs 20mins).

A quick call to MB UK if I was you.

Did you not see this on inspection ? I'd be all over the replacement like a rash given your previous experience.

Nope, didn't notice at the time. It's not easy to see when the cupholder is closed (it looks bigger than it really is in the photo), so easy to miss.

I'm more just concerned about how bad it'll look in a year if I don't get it sorted.

Or "Herr Daimler, vergessen Sie den Getränkehalter? " as the " das beste oder nichts" advert should have said.

Last edited:
a new panel costs about £10!! We replace them on every one we get.

Much cheaper than I expected - when I tried to seach for "centre console" it always brings back parts costing £200+, but I guess that must be for more than just the plastic cover.

Do you know what the correct term for it is or where I could get it?

For £10 I'm almost tempted just to do it myself...

Or "Herr Daimler, vergessen Sie den Getränkehalter? " as the " das beste oder nichts" advert should have said.

Had to Google translate this, but you're definitely right - some of the interior isn't exactly as "premium" as it could be...

Shocking that this is happening after 2 and a half years :(
Why? It looks to me as though someone has been clumsy and damaged the coating, which has then started to lift around the area that was damaged. Would you say that stone chips on a 2 year old car were shocking?

Why? It looks to me as though someone has been clumsy and damaged the coating, which has then started to lift around the area that was damaged. Would you say that stone chips on a 2 year old car were shocking?

On the interior? Only if you choose to drive around without a windscreen. On my frugal W202, the trim has taken a great deal of knocks and the top coating hasnt started lifting. Both my cars are over 10 years old. So just over 2 years on the interior, yes I would find it disappointing that it would come apart like that.

Much cheaper than I expected - when I tried to seach for "centre console" it always brings back parts costing £200+, but I guess that must be for more than just the plastic cover.

Do you know what the correct term for it is or where I could get it?

For £10 I'm almost tempted just to do it myself...

On EPC its just listed as Stowage Tray Cover.. the last one I had was part number A20468002079116.. but the part number differs for options and colours.
To change it, you remove the small rubber storage tub, pulls upwards, then there is one torx screw to undo, then it just pulls off with some force.
It makes sense when you have the new one in your hand.

Can only seem to find reference to that part number on websites that seem to be in Russian... maybe I will ask about warranty cover after all!

For a tenner - I'd sort it yourself. I thought it would have been a lot more in my previous post ..

Have you tried Inchcape parts ?

Might even be worth approaching the dealership's spares dept. and explaining that you just got the replacement car and it's got a damaged trim you want to change.

They might even give you a shilling or two off the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom