W204 & Iphone 5S Charging issues?!!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robthebubble

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI Sport 125 Edition
Hi All,

I'm new to this site, out of all the Merc sites this seems the best for information!

Anyway, I've got a facelift C220 Sport 125 Edition and the genuine iphone lightning cable wont charge the 5s. I think its because the 5s needs 12v but the usb in the arm rest only gives out 5v?!?!?

Does anyone one know a way around this which works? I have tried the 12v socket but it didn't work....perhaps its because of an aftermarket charger point however Apple don't do a genuine charger!

Any help would be appreciated!

Ta

Rob

I am pretty sure its still 5v as usb does not carry any other voltage. It could be that the current supplied is too low though. Most USB chargers are just 500ma (around 2.5w)and the 5s may have a higher charge requirement. I think it requires a 1amp charge rate (around 5w)

Just to add, it should still charge, but much, much slower. To confirm its charging, check the remaining percent charge, ensure the phone is off and then charge for an extended period. If the device is left on, then most of the low charge is being used just to power the device so nothing will feed the battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply....I suppose as a last resort if the battery dies then having it off and charging is the only way to see if it will charge. The other thing is the stupid message that flags up on the screen about not authentic charger etc....even though I'm using a genuine cable! I'll give it a try as you suggest and see how it goes...the only other way is a hard wired charger?!?!

If that message comes up it will not charge - check to see if the 'lightning' symbol is next to the battery.
You sure it's a genuine cable? - also try it both ways round.

I use an apple 30 pin to lightning connected to media interface. This charges ok.

If that message comes up it will not charge - check to see if the 'lightning' symbol is next to the battery.
You sure it's a genuine cable? - also try it both ways round.
It's the cable that came with the phone so 100% legit!

I use an apple 30 pin to lightning connected to media interface. This charges ok.
. And this is the 5S?...I know the 5 works this way but unsure of the 5S?

USB is 5 volts. A long time ago there was a 12v/5v issue with the old 40 pin connector, where Apple dropped support for 12Volt charging, so devices that only supplied 12V and not 5V would no longer charge.

So, if your 5S is not charging, I suspect it could be a "How much current can the car supply and how much does the 5S need to charge" issue. I would however just try a different lead first.

R

I had this issue for some reason the cable that comes with the phone won't work In either my in car dedicated on board USB socket or USB adapter, I changed it to a Belkin high capacity cable from staples for £7.99 and that works perfectly

Thanks guys...I've got a couple of options now so I'll see how I get on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom