W204 is dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJH

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180k for Wifey, SEAT Leon TSi
Wifey's W204 C180K won't start, no warning lights.
When inserting the key there isn't the usual CLICK when it recognises the key. Tried both keys, same result.
Presumably the immobiliser is still ON.
It that correct ?
Battery has 14 volts.

Is the steering lock working? Can you hear it?

There is a faint click, like a relay clicking, but not the usual load click when the key is inserted.
I can move the wheel about 10 or 15 degrees.

It could be the Electoronic Ignition System (EIS module), but it could also be many other things.... you really need to get the car on STAR.

Is the battery OK?

The battery shows 14 volts. I did connect my car to jump start but it made no difference.

Might have blown one or more of the fuseable links in the prefuse box ?
Its the unit with the red top beside the battery. This is from a W212 but will be similar?
F32-Front-Electrical-Prefuse-Box-Location.jpg

It will be the eis unit as already mentioned, has it failed with the steering wheel locked or unlocked?

More likely to be steering lock ESL than ign lock EIS.

Aye. Try, just once, loosening the steering wheel adjuster and rattling the wheel back and forth. I had to do this when my ESL failed on so I could release it and drive to rmk.

The key will turn to the START position but no lights on the instrument display. Wiggling the wheel makes no difference.
Don't know which fuse it might be, there isn't a list anywhere.
Phoning the garage in the morning.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant esl, can try thumping underneath the steering column, sometimes jars it into action but will fail again so will need replacing unfortunately

The key will turn to the START position but no lights on the instrument display. Wiggling the wheel makes no difference.
Don't know which fuse it might be, there isn't a list anywhere.
Phoning the garage in the morning.
Not sure if C class W204 is the same as my W203 but try popping the cover off the end of the dashboard (door open, drivers side) inside you might find what I found, a neatly folded fuse legend resting in its own little compartment amongst the fuses that are in there.
My car is 11 years old and it was cleat that this piece of paper had never seen the light of day since it rolled off the production line.

Good luck

Sorry I meant esl, can try thumping underneath the steering column, sometimes jars it into action but will fail again so will need replacing unfortunately

Aye, I had to do this, then leave the car with the key in, and on trickle, in a locked garage over the weekend.

This meant a good hour actually making some room in the garage.

Diagnosis is the steering lock. Three to four days to get the part from Germany...£558

I briefly pondered that. I could see it when I took the wheel off a while back but would be worried about taking it apart.

MercedesreplacementKeys could have fixed that as recommended earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom