W204 main beam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vroom

Car
W204
Was off downs country lane last night and thought I'd give my main beam a go for the first time. So flicked the stalk forward ...and nothing. I did get an icon appear in the dash display, but no main beam.

My lights are always set to 'auto'. So what's the deal? Do your lights automatically adjust to the road regardless of whether you want main beam or not? Or do I have to turn off 'auto' to get the main beam to work?

Cheers.

I say that main beam should be on when you switch it on. That should be regardless of any auto/continuos settings.

Will they flash using pull back on the stalk? If they do? Then your bulbs are good.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Sounds like a fault. Doesnt it flash if you pull towards you then either?

Which version W204 ?

The pre-facelift model has nothing as standard that would turn on main beam automatically. The Auto function turns the headlights on by measuring the ambient light levels but doesn't select main bream independently of the low/high beam switch.

There was an optional adaptive Bi-Xenon headlight system. You might have that.

Which version W204 ?

The pre-facelift model has nothing as standard that would turn on main beam automatically. The Auto function turns the headlights on by measuring the ambient light levels but doesn't select main bream independently of the low/high beam switch.

There was an optional adaptive Bi-Xenon headlight system. You might have that.

It's a 2013 facelift AMG Sports Plus with the Bi-Xenon lights.

Tapping the stalk towards me does make them flash but I just can get them to stay on when I push the stalk forward.

I would say that this is a fault. Main beam should always be overridden by manual input on the stalk/switch. You now know your bulbs are good as the stalk gives you a flash. So unless there is a separate fused circuit? I would advise getting it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I don't think you have a fault. Your lights are ILS which means pushing the stalk forward is placing the headlights on Beam Assist (head light symbol with the letter A).

You can do one of two things, either switch off Beam Assist from the menu accessed through the display on the speedometer 'Vehicle Settings' or turn the headlight switch to manually on at which point the headlights should engage beam setting.

Last edited:
I know its an old thread, but I have found that on my 2014 C204, when I push the stalk forward for high beam there is usually a 2-3 second delay before the high beam comes on.

The car is fitted with the Adaptive Beam Assist so automatically dips when there is oncoming traffic and this seems to work effectively. I haven't yet tried it following another car.

I have the same car and you have ILS. If you want to control the main beam you'll need to turn your light switch off Auto and onto dipped beam. You can then control them as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom