W204 navigation map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
How do these work from an update point of view.

Say I buy a disc, and update my maps, what's to stop someone else using that disc to update their maps also?

Just curious.......

As long as the disc is genuine you can buy second user update discs. I did same on my 204

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That only applies to pre-facelift NTG4 204's - which I have!! If the OP's 204 has NTG4.5 then it's a case of a PIN from a dealer or indie that has the relevant software, as any search on here or a call to commandonline.co.uk will confirm. Then NTG4.5 DVD's - so not a "second user" option.

IF you have NTG4, then the DVD's are re-useable (I've done it twice) so a hell of a lot cheaper than buying from MB, it takes about 2 1/4 hours for the 2 DVD's to load so you need to start the car, put a charger on the battery then turn the engine off and leave the ignition on so Comand does not shut down. Remove all DVD's / CD/'s from the changer, load the first DVD which will autorun then wait 1 3/4 hours for DVD 1 to finish, then load DVD2 which will finish after about 1/2 hour.

I've done my NTG4 twice, most expensive was about £40 - hell of a lot better than £100+ for the NTG4.5 PIN then at least the same again for NTG4.5 update DVD's.

If you want chapter and verse, call command.co.uk.

My car is pre-facelift.
I suppose the real issue is ensuring the discs are genuine, otherwise that copied disc scenario that command.co.uk talk about could really put a dampener on things

I got a genuine 2nd-hand disc off ebay for 70 quid.

Not to worry, ordered an update from Mercedes - £100

Easy enough to install - I read that its about 2 hours apply the update?

Last edited:
So let me get this right . If you have a facelift 2012 you have the NTG4.5 and can't update unless original disc with code ?

My understanding is that NTG4.5 you need update and a PIN which means you can't sell on the update.
If my updates work out ok, I'll stick the DVD on ebay and get a few quid back

NTG 4.5 requires a PIN that's unique to the vehicle that's having the map update.

The discs are cheap enough, but you can't update the car without the PIN, which only a dealer or independent that's authorised by Mercedes can get.

For the first three years map updates are free, after that the system detects you're no longer free and wants to be paid as soon as they request the PIN.

ShaunB, the update takes 2 1/4 hours - about 1 3/4 of which is DVD1, the rest DVD2 (it will ask for disc 2 when it's ready).
Empty the CD changer first. Then start the engine, connect your battery charger to the battery, switch the engine off but put the ignition back on so Comand does not go to sleep (this minimises the possibility of a voltage spike when you connect the charger from doing mischief to the SAM's).
Insert DVD1, it will autorun. About 1 3/4 hours later it will ask for disc 2 - eject disc 1, insert disc 2. About 30 minutes later it's done, eject disc 2 and put on ebay.

1 small wrinkle I've heard about - it appears early 204 Comand systems had a smaller HDD than later ones, the latest NTG4 update is too large for the early HDD - but you don't find out until the update stalls at 90%!!! Suggest you ask Comand.co.uk (Alfie or Richard) how to find out if your HDD is big enough for the latest update! Please post on here so I can check mine as well!!

"onnect your battery charger to the battery,"

Just a minor point but you should use the charging point inside the engine bay, the terminal under the sliding red plus cover.

And yes, you can only go to update 13 I think it is, if you have a Comand HDD before November 2008.

ShaunB, the update takes 2 1/4 hours - about 1 3/4 of which is DVD1, the rest DVD2 (it will ask for disc 2 when it's ready).
Empty the CD changer first. Then start the engine, connect your battery charger to the battery, switch the engine off but put the ignition back on so Comand does not go to sleep (this minimises the possibility of a voltage spike when you connect the charger from doing mischief to the SAM's).
Insert DVD1, it will autorun. About 1 3/4 hours later it will ask for disc 2 - eject disc 1, insert disc 2. About 30 minutes later it's done, eject disc 2 and put on ebay.

1 small wrinkle I've heard about - it appears early 204 Comand systems had a smaller HDD than later ones, the latest NTG4 update is too large for the early HDD - but you don't find out until the update stalls at 90%!!! Suggest you ask Comand.co.uk (Alfie or Richard) how to find out if your HDD is big enough for the latest update! Please post on here so I can check mine as well!!

Version 12 is the last version that will load onto an early W204 comand. By early I mean one built prior to October 2008. easiest way to check is to see if your car is model year 2009 or newer. If it is, then okay to go to the latest disk.

Thanks Alfie - you're a gentleman

Thanks Alfie - that means I have the early HDD that will only take V12, my car was first registered July 2008.

FWIW, both times I've updates my maps, I've connected the charger direct to the battery rather than the jump start point under the bonnet. Worked fine both times, so don't understand why you say the jump start point should be used.

Last edited:
What if one doesn't have a charger?
Just drive about for approx 2 hours :D

Don't know if that would work Shaun. Would the nav part of Comand be trying to activate / find satellites, or does the updating stop nav from trying to start? I know first time I updated, I initially left the engine running on the driveway (we live in a quiet cul-de-sac) until I realised how long the update would take, that's when I put the battery charger on it!

What if one doesn't have a charger?
Just drive about for approx 2 hours :D

No shaun it wont update if the car is moving. I updated mine with car idling on the drive while i cleaned it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, no issues with it sitting idling for that long?
Might just buy a mains charger from Halfords - can't be that expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom