W204 not starting / then fine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Duke

My 2007 C class W204 220CDi has twice now not started when turning the key. It happened many months ago then again this week. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

What happened was I turned the key to pre-heat the engine, all dash lights as normal. Then when turning the key all the way to start nothing happened. I then turned the key to off, tried again and still nothing happened. On the third attempt it started perfectly has been fine since. So two occurances at least six months apart - but slightly worrying.

The car is due for a service soon but I'd like to know if any other W204 owners have seen this before I speak to the garage.

Thanks.

I''ve had the same thing happen on odd occasions with various cars, and it happened on a brand new W203 I had on test, although my own W203 has never done it.

I put it down to some random immobiliser confusion. Lock and unlock the car and it's been fine at the next try.

There are various other possibilites of course - it could a problem with the gear selector (if it's an auto) not recognising that the car is in Park.

Having just read your post I went for a drive and surprise surprise the exact same thing happened to me: turn the key and everything powers up, but didn't start or turn over. Tried twice and then took the key out and it started as normal. First time for me and have no idea why it did it - if you have it checked at MB then do report back if there is a problem.

I had a new Vito back in 2005 that did this randomly, sometimes it took 20 minutes to start. Mercedes never did get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for the replies.

Anders - my service is due in December, if it doesn't happen again before then I'll wait until the service and ask about it. I'll repost afterwards and tell you what (if anything) the garage comes up with.

W204 Ignition/Starting Problems

Hi

I have a C220 that has had this issue for over 18 months. Extremely intermittent problem:

Insert Key, Steering lock activates, turn on ignition, all lights illuminate, turn key to start, nothing. Release key and turn again, nothing.

Only way to start car is to turn off ignition, leave key in place, and try again and car starts normally.

Merc Dealer has been great, replaced:

Keys
Ignition module,
SAM Unit
Wiring Harness
Starter Motor
and more

without any change to symptoms.

Now the car has just existed warranty period so I wrote to Merc Cust Services who have suggested that I should buy extended warranty! If problem becomes more frequent and they will consider a "goodwill gesture" which means I have to pay!

Shame, great car but they seem unable to fix it. I've engaged Merc CS in communication and taking advice elsewhere as I won't let this one go.

Facts are:

Fault exhibited in warranty period and still not corrected so liability is Merc's 100%.

Look for yourself browse the web for this issue and it's well known on other forums.

Looking at other cars I've owned:

Audi A6 well into 130K plus miles no issue
Honda Accord Petrol 100k not a squeak or rattle
Honda Accord Diesel 100k plus perfect again
Plus many GM Cavaliers, yes those so called Rep Motors that are hammered for 80k of their lease contracts, no issues !

With my own cash I buy my dream car and I have to put up with this nonsense. Watch this space, I'm not one to lie down!

My w202 does the same thing occasionally, I remove and replace the key then it starts. I have never got a straight answer as to why but its an old car so not worth pursuing to far.

I had a similar problem a few years ago now, Merc changed the ignition barrel and starter motor but when the nice man from mobilo life was checking the car in my driveway I noticed that his computer kept saying voltage too low (<10.5V) every time he tried to start it ............... changed the battery ........ no more problem!

Thanks for the replies.

Anders - my service is due in December, if it doesn't happen again before then I'll wait until the service and ask about it. I'll repost afterwards and tell you what (if anything) the garage comes up with.

Hi Duke, I also experience exactly the same problem. the car won't start until couple of attempts. sometime there is also random warning messages on the instrument cluster..

when I took the car to authorised MB dealer, they advice to replace SAM module. they suspected the unit is damaged by water ingress. as the problem occur once a while, i was thinking if it is worth to change the unit because the part is quite expensive.

did you find the cause of problem for your car ?

Regards

Hi Rogersp. My 2007 W204 C200 K Elegance has failed to start first time on a few occasions recently, just the same as yours did, or should I say didn't. Key in, turn to first pos and lights all on. Turn further to start and nothing. Remove key and put back in, same thing. Remove key and put back in and it starts. Reluctant to go to Dealer cos I think they are covering up a well known fault here...May have to go to Ex MB tech friend if it persists.

Regards

Last edited:
My 2007 C class W204 220CDi has twice now not started when turning the key. It happened many months ago then again this week. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

What happened was I turned the key to pre-heat the engine, all dash lights as normal. Then when turning the key all the way to start nothing happened. I then turned the key to off, tried again and still nothing happened. On the third attempt it started perfectly has been fine since. So two occurances at least six months apart - but slightly worrying.

The car is due for a service soon but I'd like to know if any other W204 owners have seen this before I speak to the garage.

Thanks.
I own a 2010 Mercedes c63 w204 and I’m having the same problem the engine starts on the third try

Had the same problem on a 2058 C220 Sport Estate. Finally gave up the ghost and wouldn't start at all. Dealer changed a unit in steering column (£600). Completely cured. Sorry don't know what the unit was.

My W204 used to do this. It was a loose relay in the fusebox in the engine bay. If it does it again, try pressing on all the relays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom