W204 not starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aybracers

SUPPORTER
Car
C250Saloon,C200 Estate
Actually an S204 2008 C200k. Had a new battery fitted two weeks ago. Drove the car for 350 miles on Wednesday. Went to start it today, the remote opened the car, the mirrors folded out on opening the door. Put the key in the ignition and nothing. No handshake noise, no warning lights on position 1 and nothing when trying to start the car. Tried turning on the headlights - nothing. Tried attaching a booster pack to the connections near the battery - nothing. Same with both keys. Does that suggest the ignition switch? I have noticed a whirring noise on opening the car since the new battery was fitted but today is the first time I've had this problem.

Yes, battery connections are all good.
I noticed that I cannot unlock the steering wheel either which seems to suggest the dreaded EIS/ESL problem.

To Close this one. Indeed it turned out to be the EIS/ESL. Fortunately covered by warranty as it had to be low-loaded to the repairer.
Running good now.

Lucky it was covered by Warranty, otherwise a big bill! I had something similar recently that turned out to be a 4 month old battery that was faulty - replaced under the 5 year warranty by Halfords, but being cynical I have a battery condition tester connected where I can see it, battery was replaced Sunday, since driving home I've done 2 miles on Tuesday collecting meds, tester is still showing fully charged thankfully!

Hi Chris,

Always a bummer when something almost new fails.

I had a situation last year with an air conditioner compressor for my 124 Coupe that flat out didn't work from new.

Hope the lights keep coming on when you turn the key!

By the way, I'm thinking of having the same as you had done at Comand.co.uk and getting a reversing camera fitted. Like you my S204 is too early for the latest software updates for the COMAND system.
I can't justify the expense of getting the hard disk (Only 40GB!) when the end result is still only 5 didgit post codes.
And I still want DAB but I don't think it was even an option on our early 204 Estates - or was it?

Mark or Richard at comand.co.uk will answer your question about DAB, I suspect they can retrofit it. I had the HDD sorted as we consider out S204 a keeper, and I could not figure another 10 years with 2014-15 maps - and my profit on the 968 cab was paying the bill! Reversing camera is good, takes a few hours to fit, but there's a decent pub 200 yeards up the road from comand - they do a mean omlette for lunch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom