W204 NTG4 screen dead HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wags

Car
W204 C220 sport
Hi, I have a C220 sport 2007 with the Comand NTG4. last week the screen kept flickering but then was ok till yesterday when it completely went out.

I still have all the functions but no screen. radio and voicetronics is ok. the screen opens and closes ok. i removed the fuse for the comand unit for a couple of mins to reset it but no joy.

I have removed the screen and Comand unit to ensure it isnt a damaged cable etc ( i used to work with electronics before retirement so can fix most electrical items) My question is does anyone have the wiring diagram for the screen so that i can check power getting to it. I have searched the internet but nobody seems to have had this problem. i called a repair agent for help but he said he wanted £289 to fix it. i dont want to pay that amount if its only something simple.

Any help would be appreciated...

Mine does that, a good tap on the top fixes it!

Interested to hear people's comments on what's wrong.

Tried that but its completely Dead. seems to have no power getting to screen. Is there a fuse somewhere that is only for the screen ?

Help Appreciated

Ebay Screen ,,,thats the company near me that quoted £289 to look at it. i can fit it myself but i want to ensure its the screen faulty before purchasing new one.

removed screen from car and stripped it down but cannot see or smell any thing untoward...

I read that the wiring to the LCD burns out but mines ok..

any ideas...

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I bought a screen from aliexpress.com for £26 (from China)... The blurb assured me it was a new screen but when it arrived it clearly wasn't new. No biggie I thought, if it fixes my problem I'm not too fussed... It didn't. I'm now scared to spend another £100 to try another screen and find out that it's something bigger than just an LCD fault... So if anyone can help shed any light on how to prove the screen without actually buying another, that'd be great...

The only real way is to try another because you can't easily check (d) or (e) in the list below. But it could be

a) Fuse. But not if it still opens as its the same fuse for both functions. Fuse is in main fusebox under bonnet. Fuse 11 7.5Amps
b) Power wiring - highly unlikely, but the power wiring for the open/close and for the video functions is separate
- if you remove the screen you will see a 8 way plug. Check the 3 browns are connected to ground and the 2 red/blue have power using a test light
c) Video cable, but much more likely to flicker than to fail completely
d) Video output of COMAND (never seen this fail)
e) Screen electronics

You can get replacement LCD if your willing to deconstruct the whole thing. We used to keep a "used" spare (one I put a new LCD in because it had been cracked when someone braked hard with a length of wood in the back of their car), but used it on someone's car :-(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom