w204 or w205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick5

Car
W213
Iam planing to buy w204 2012 onward or w205 2015 diesel had w203 for 5 year never had a problem now want to change which one you guys suggest as reliable?
your advice will be appreciated

Many thanks

Last edited:
My first MB was a 2002 C270CDI, which was 3 years old and I had that for about 5 years. I only did very low mileage and didn't have any major problems (the turbo was changed under warranty).

The next was a 2010 C250CGI (S205), again, 3 years old that I had for 3 years. It was a very good car but I had countless problems during the first 6 months of ownership (all covered under dealer warranty, thankfully). It remained fairly trouble free after that but I never could get the steering fully sorted to cure the slight pull to the left.

Last year I got my 2014 C250 AMG line Bluetec (S205) - it was 18 months old and I love it. Touch wood, during the last 12 months, I've not had the same initial niggles I had with the first two cars.

Had a 2015 C220d AMG Sport Premium 7G Auto Coupe in Fire Opal Red (204) from mid-2015 until earlier this year. Initially had an intermittent problem with the gear selector getting stuck in park. This was sorted out and afterwards the car was great for the remaining time we had it. Nice drive, comfortable, it had COMAND with sat-nav screen built into the dash. The paint developed microblisters in October 2016, which contributed to our decision to change the car. We did about 18k miles in it and enjoyed it a lot.

In April, we changed to a 2016 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus 7G Auto Estate in Designo Hyacinth Red Metallic (205). So far the car has been pretty well flawless (though there is an annoying rattle from the glovebox, which I will track down). The interior is as good as anything around, though not everyone likes the screen on the dash. The sat-nav instructions can be a little odd at times too, especially on large roundabouts which it sees as a series of junctions rather than a roundabout. It has AddBlue, which may be important going forward. Overall though, so far probably the best car I've ever owned.

Whatever you get, I suggest you avoid Fire Opal Red (don't think the W205 has been offered in this colour)

So in summary, both are/can be great cars. FWIW, if I were buying now, I'd go W205.

Both the W204 and W205 are great cars....

If you are looking for a car equipped with COMAND, then the W205 will have the newer version of COMAND - MTG5.1 -which (I am told) is significantly better than the W204's NTG4.5/4.7.

Many thanks for your replies as i have w203 220 cdi 5 years not a single problem.I've heard gear shifting problems in w205 its not v smooth its difficult to pick one iam not buying new used low millage. i live in Highland so my millage around 150 miles a week

Last edited:
Hyancinth red - lovely colour. It's a shame it isn't available on the W222 S class. Worth choosing a W205 for that paint colour alone.

If you go for a 205, just be careful that, in the Sport, MB changed the spec of the front seats to Comfort Seats very early on. These now have lumbar control and electrically operated front edge adjustment which the early ones don't have. Also, be aware that rear pads and maybe discs may need to be changed much earlier than you're used to - some only get about 20 - 25k miles.

Also, the diesels like rear tyres on both 204s and 205s with 205s getting 15k max, particularly on early ones. Front tyres can also fail through outer edge wear, so it's worth checking that they haven't been changed around to compensate.

Both the 204s and 205s are great cars, though.

Ernie

Many thanks for your replies as i have w203 220 cdi 5 years not a single problem.I've heard gear shifting problems in w205 its not v smooth its difficult to pick one iam not buying new used low millage. i live in Highland so my millage around 150 miles a week

I can add my 2 cents to the Gearbox, it is rubbish. Doesn't know which gear to go in sometimes. Keeps jumping from 2 to 3 in traffic, although in Sports+ it is abit better but at the cost of MPG.

Personally, I think 7 Gears is too many for the Engine, 5 or 6 Gears would be Perfect.

The 205 has the 9G Tronic, the 204, 7G Tronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom